Post removed... Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lawdylawdy

New

Post removed...

Post by lawdylawdy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by lawdylawdy on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Re: LRAP or Full Ride?

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:11 pm

With your top choice's (T14) LRAP, will your total out of pocket be higher or lower than 45k~ (your undergrad loan plus 3 years of interest)?

If you're going to be working for an underfunded environmental non-profit whose attorneys never clear more than 80k/year, feel free to take the T14. If we're talking a CA county's DA/PD office where attorneys make 110+ by year 10, you should probably take the full ride.

lawdylawdy

New

Post removed...

Post by lawdylawdy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Post removed...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Go ahead and specify the public interest field, sounds like that's pertinent here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:53 pm

lawdylawdy wrote: What do you mean?

I'd rather not specify the public interest field, but it would behoove me to have T14 credentials for the positions I'm seeking. Additionally, I don't expect the salary for said positions to be very high. These are the reasons I feel T14 sticker might be the better option.
LRAP is based off of and limited by your income. If you make over a certain salary, you only get a percentage covered. Based on your school's LRAP program and your expected income, it's basic math to see which is financially better, while factoring in the ability to get the job from both schools.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:00 pm

is a retake + paying like 10k or so off or your loans via sitting out and working an actual viable option here or nah

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:01 pm

if nah I would probably cop the full-ride no matter the circumstance

how do you know you'll even get a job in the field you want? Or that you'd like it? $300k hanging over your head for 10 or 25 years for a t14 degree is just not worth it

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Can you define regional a little more?

regional as in like UT/UCLA/Emory? Or regional like T2/T3?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:17 pm

What I mean is that at some point, the school's LRAP doesn't cover your IBR/PAYE/etc. payments and you're out of pocket on the remainder. If the T14 you're thinking about is Columbia, which has an 100k/year cap, and the job you're thinking about is a crappy non-profit where you'll never make more than 100k a year for as long as you work there, then the JD is effectively "free" and you should go for LRAP because having your school + IBR pay down your undergrad loans beats you paying down your undergrad loans.

On the other hand, if you're likely to be paying more than 45k in IBR/PAYE/etc. (either because your school's LRAP isn't as good, because you make too much money, or a combination of the two), then you should take the full ride and start paying off the undergrad loans asap.

All of this advice is contingent on you properly understanding what a "strong regional is" (which I feel like you do) and more importantly, you understanding how much benefit a T14 would give you over a strong regional (which I feel like you don't.)

lawdylawdy

New

Post removed...

Post by lawdylawdy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Post removed...

lawdylawdy

New

Post removed...

Post by lawdylawdy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Post removed...

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Do you mind sharing your stats, since you said you were a super splitter, and more about any schools that have accepted you? Also, I'd say you should be careful about taking on a ton of debt based on assumptions. Like earlier posters mentioned, how do you know you'll like the work or even get a job? I knew people who went to law school only interested in one area and that's not what they practice now.

Are there at least some geographic regions where you don't want to practice? Also, it really would be helpful to know the public interest field. You might want to practice in an area where a regional school could give you better prospects because of connections.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:58 am

I understand the desire for anonymity, but you're not giving anywhere near enough info to help you. You won't tell us the industry (so we don't know if T14 matters) the schools you're looking at, or your stats.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:27 am

Assuming you are correct that t-14 credentials matter for your goal PI gig, still, you should only feel comfortable going the LRAP route if (a) you have strong backup options in the public interest world rather than gunning for only some unicorn gig (e.g., legal aid if your goal is ACLU) and (b) you have work experience/connections/other reasons to think you will be competitive in the public interest job market, which is very selective/intimidating. Related to this I would confirm relevant t-14 has strong PI career services and/or alumni.

ETA on the other hand if you're talking about somewhere with high CoL and the school doesn't have a good LRAP the t-14 may be better debt and all. Even just paying off CoL loans plus your ug loans in a low-paying PD gig can be rough without LRAP.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:50 pm

LRAP is deceptive; it's harder to qualify and stick through it than you think. There's also the temptation to just do OCI and then you're stuck with a shitload of debt and a job you don't want. Sticker at T14 is still ill advised for PI minded people.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:13 am

jbagelboy wrote:LRAP is deceptive; it's harder to qualify and stick through it than you think. There's also the temptation to just do OCI and then you're stuck with a shitload of debt and a job you don't want. Sticker at T14 is still ill advised for PI minded people.
Also, if you have any assets, schools will often require that you (basically) spend them entirely before they pony up, which is a plus one for the full ride.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”