Advice for Negotiating More Scholarship Money in Person Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
autumnleaves

New

Advice for Negotiating More Scholarship Money in Person

Post by autumnleaves » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:01 pm

I am meeting with the dean of admissions for a law school tomorrow morning. This school offered me a scholarship worth about 85% tuition, and I'm hoping to get that bumped to a full ride. The dean has previously told me that they would do "anything they had to" to get me to attend, so I feel like this should be doable.

I've seen lots of advice for how to send an email requesting more money, but I think this will be more awkward in person. Has anyone been in this situation? Should I mention names of other schools that either have offered me more money or are much higher ranked?

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Advice for Negotiating More Scholarship Money in Person

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:10 pm

autumnleaves wrote:I am meeting with the dean of admissions for a law school tomorrow morning. This school offered me a scholarship worth about 85% tuition, and I'm hoping to get that bumped to a full ride. The dean has previously told me that they would do "anything they had to" to get me to attend, so I feel like this should be doable.

I've seen lots of advice for how to send an email requesting more money, but I think this will be more awkward in person. Has anyone been in this situation? Should I mention names of other schools that either have offered me more money or are much higher ranked?
It's gonna be the same as what you'd do in the email, just in person. If you've actually done the first part of your second paragraph then your last question should be answered.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:36 pm

If you have a full ride a similar school already, then you could talk about how you're leaning in that direction cuz full ride.

If this 85% deal is the best you got, then yeah I think it would take some nerve to tell them to their faces that it isn't enough.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Clemenceau wrote:If you have a full ride a similar school already, then you could talk about how you're leaning in that direction cuz full ride.

If this 85% deal is the best you got, then yeah I think it would take some nerve to tell them to their faces that it isn't enough.
But OP got accepted to a more preftigious school. That should be enough to get that pesky 15% bump.

autumnleaves

New

Post by autumnleaves » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Clemenceau wrote:If you have a full ride a similar school already, then you could talk about how you're leaning in that direction cuz full ride.

I do have a full ride from a similarly-ranked school in addition to an acceptance at one T14 (still waiting on 4). This school is my state law school, and they're really trying to keep students in-state so I think I'm in a good spot to negotiate.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 pm

autumnleaves wrote:

I do have a full ride from a similarly-ranked school in addition to an acceptance at one T14 (still waiting on 4). This school is my state law school, and they're really trying to keep students in-state so I think I'm in a good spot to negotiate.
Also...retake. With 170 you're looking at fully from t14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”