Asking for a scholarship increase Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
km24

New

Asking for a scholarship increase

Post by km24 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I'd like to ask for an increase but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I ask for a scholarship increase by mail or email? If I send an email should I just put it in the body of the email or should I attach a document?

I don't have leverage from another school, so do I instead discuss the cost of attending by listing the expenses (tuition, books, housing)?

I Know there are similar posts here so sorry if this is repetitive but I haven't found answers to these questions or examples of emails/letters.

thanks!

FirmBiz

Bronze

Re: Asking for a scholarship increase

Post by FirmBiz » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 am

km24 wrote:I'd like to ask for an increase but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I ask for a scholarship increase by mail or email? If I send an email should I just put it in the body of the email or should I attach a document?

I don't have leverage from another school, so do I instead discuss the cost of attending by listing the expenses (tuition, books, housing)?

I Know there are similar posts here so sorry if this is repetitive but I haven't found answers to these questions or examples of emails/letters.

thanks!
It'll be a bit more difficult since you don't have the leverage, but you could simply pose a question to the dean of admissions, asking if there is any more scholarship money available because you are concerned about your financial situation.

In all likelihood he'll just tell you about taking a loan, but its worth a shot.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 am

km24 wrote:I'd like to ask for an increase but I'm not sure how to go about it.

thanks!
You need not list the cost relating to the school. The committee is aware of these costs. Just get across that you really like the prospect of attending school X, but the finances make it difficult. Ask nicely and you may get lucky.

tealeaves12

Bronze

Post by tealeaves12 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:02 am

you may not have leverage in the form of peer schools' scholarship offers, but if worded right, maybe you could use not going as leverage. I think in one of my negotiation emails, I discussed how I had wanted to go to law school for a few years now, but each year experienced financial constraints that made me decide to wait another year, etc etc. And went on to say how thrilled I was to not only be accepted to x school, but to receive a generous scholarship offer of y, alleviating some of my financial considerations. However, after calculating loan fees and interest, and resolving not to work during 1L to fully focus, etc, the costs were still somewhat daunting. While x school is of course my top choice and a great outcome for my goals, I can't help but consider the possible financial benefits of working full time a couple years before attending law school.

(btw, this actually was the case for me though. I was totally willing to wait if the money wasn't right. dunno if that's the case for you but may still work i guess)

then just politely asking them something like "Is there any way x school may consider increasing its initial scholarship offer in my case?" saying even if they can't that it would still be your top choice but that you would feel more confident making the financial decision if you knew you had their final offer.

I think for one school I asked if there were any additional scholarships I could apply to, etc, hoping that would show them I am willing to do extra work for extra $ if possible/necessary.

yes, email is better than mail, to respond to your op. if the ad comm is friendly and has encouraged phone calls, it could be a good start. I went that route for most schools I negotiated with - talked on the phone to ad comm, asked if they ever chose to increase scholarship, and asked for what cases/qualities, etc they looked for when deciding to increase. Some people I talked to were really forthcoming with me and I worked their suggestions into my email. I also found the phone call helpful because I could ask who I should send the email too (some schools want you to send it to financial aid, others to regular admissions). some people I spoke to on the phone with asked me to send it directly to them, or to at least cc them so they could remember me.

hth, and good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”