Penn scholarship negotiation Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
meyer5541

New

Penn scholarship negotiation

Post by meyer5541 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:03 am

Quick question about UPenn negotiation: their website makes it seem that they are very open to hearing what other scholarship offers their admits have received and trying to match them. My question is what scholarship offers would serve as the best leverage to mention. Don't want to mention some of they aren't going to be helpful. Here are my offers:

WashU: scholar in law (full tuition but withdrew)
UT: $122,000
Duke: $105,000
NYU: $25,000

Which would you recommend mentioning? Also, what phrasing is best for the correspondence for how to bring it up? Finally, is email ok for this? Thanks for your help!

WeeBey

Silver

Re: Penn scholarship negotiation

Post by WeeBey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Depends on what Penn is offering, but use the Duke. They want to believe they're closer to NYU, but they're really closer to Duke.

And duke is your best option right now, if penn doesn't offer atleast 30k/year (col difference) I think it's an easy decision.

meyer5541

New

Re: Penn scholarship negotiation

Post by meyer5541 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:58 am

WeeBey wrote:Depends on what Penn is offering, but use the Duke. They want to believe they're closer to NYU, but they're really closer to Duke.

And duke is your best option right now, if penn doesn't offer atleast 30k/year (col difference) I think it's an easy decision.
So don't mention the 25k from NYU at all?

Return to “Financial Aid”