Scholarship Negotiations. Need Help! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
MReyna12

New

Scholarship Negotiations. Need Help!

Post by MReyna12 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:10 pm

I have been stressing over how to set up my negotiations for the past week, so here I am asking for help from my peers. I have four schools I plan on negotiating with: School A(107), B(79), C(72), D(87).
School A has offered 21k/yr with a COA 52k/yr. School B has offered 16k/yr with a COA 70k/yr. School C has offered 14k/yr with a COA 63k/yr. School D has offered no scholarship with a COA 76k/yr. All four schools are on the west coast. Schools A/C are in the Northwest. I would consider, at the very least, schools A/C are regional schools. I would like to attend the schools in this order: School B, D, A, C. My thought process has been to start negotiations with School C. I would use the offer from School A as leverage, and of course include why I want to attend, but due to COA I am "on the fence" about attending. I could also start negotiations with School A since then are the lowest ranked. I could use my other acceptances/offers to increase their offer past 21k/yr. The increase at School A would then give me more leverage for School B and so on. Negotiations would go one of two ways: School C-->B-->D-->A, etc or School A-->C-->B-->D, etc. I do not need help with what to write. I do need help with where I should start. These two situations make the most sense to me, but if you have another idea, please do tell. I know there is no guarantee for an increase in money. Please give me your opinions on where I should begin!

Thanks!

Aquila

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Negotiations. Need Help!

Post by Aquila » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:59 pm

MReyna12 wrote:I have been stressing over how to set up my negotiations for the past week, so here I am asking for help from my peers. I have four schools I plan on negotiating with: School A(107), B(79), C(72), D(87).
School A has offered 21k/yr with a COA 52k/yr. School B has offered 16k/yr with a COA 70k/yr. School C has offered 14k/yr with a COA 63k/yr. School D has offered no scholarship with a COA 76k/yr. All four schools are on the west coast. Schools A/C are in the Northwest. I would consider, at the very least, schools A/C are regional schools. I would like to attend the schools in this order: School B, D, A, C. My thought process has been to start negotiations with School C. I would use the offer from School A as leverage, and of course include why I want to attend, but due to COA I am "on the fence" about attending. I could also start negotiations with School A since then are the lowest ranked. I could use my other acceptances/offers to increase their offer past 21k/yr. The increase at School A would then give me more leverage for School B and so on. Negotiations would go one of two ways: School C-->B-->D-->A, etc or School A-->C-->B-->D, etc. I do not need help with what to write. I do need help with where I should start. These two situations make the most sense to me, but if you have another idea, please do tell. I know there is no guarantee for an increase in money. Please give me your opinions on where I should begin!

Thanks!

if you want someone to actually answer it, you have to make it much less confusing, name the schools (no you will not be able to be identified by an adcom)

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Scholarship Negotiations. Need Help!

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:30 pm

That block of text is too confusing for people to decipher I think

Hopefully this thread gets you where you want to go:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=27221

Return to “Financial Aid”