Need Hazelwood Act and Scholarship info. Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Country

New

Need Hazelwood Act and Scholarship info.

Post by Country » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Hello all, I’m posting the same thing in the Veterans forum. Just trying to get some solid info. I’m an veteran from Texas. I will have exhausted my G.I. Bill in May. I am eligible for the Hazelwood. I got admittance letters from University of Houston School of Law (tier 1) and Thurgood Marshall School of Law (tier 4). TMSL offered me a merit scholarship of $10K+ and the same each year if I remain in the top 10% of my class. I’m going to talk to them about removing the top 10 restriction and increasing it. I have not received a scholarship offer from U of H yet. I’m 99% positive I will go to U of H, but I have a family to support and me taking 3 years off to go to law school is dependent on my receiving a return check every semester to cover some of my expenses. How does it work in regards to the Hazelwood Act? If total cost is $40K, tuition is $20K (paid by Hazelwood) and then I get a $20K scholarship, does that mean that I will get the $20K returned back to me? And being a URM 34, 3.7 GPA, 153 LSAT, do I have any options in negotiating with UH since my LSAT score is below their average? Or do I just have to accept whatever they offer? I want to attend law school without having to worry about working, at least in my first year. If I do decide to go to UH regardless of what they offer me, what options do to I have and what can I expect to receive back in my pocket with using the Hazelwood plus loans? Basically I want to know al of my options for paying for law school and what can I expect to get back each semester. This will help me make my decision of whether to go to a top ranked school or settle for a lower ranked school. One last thing, let's say TMSL offers me a full cost scholarship, $38K with tuition and books taking $20K, will the reaming $18K go to me. Thanks!

Return to “Financial Aid”