Parental Information on FAFSA Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
MulhollandCowboy

New

Parental Information on FAFSA Question

Post by MulhollandCowboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 am

Vanderbilt Law school requires a FAFSA and a Need Access form for Need-based Financial aid.

The website (http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... al-aid.php) states: "When you complete the Need Access form, list Vanderbilt University Law School code 0035301. Parental information is required for all applicants age 25 or under." However, it does not specifically say anything about including parental information in the FAFSA.

Does anyone know or have any insight into whether or not Vanderbilt requires parental financial information to be included in the FAFSA?

Thanks!

justabitunusual

Silver

Re: Parental Information on FAFSA Question

Post by justabitunusual » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:44 am

I would just call their admissions office to find out, bc no the fafsa doesn't require it, and I don't see how they can require it simply based on age bc you could be married or could have had been emancipated, etc. I would call them to confirm what you actually have to submit.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:01 am

would there be any benefit to give parental info? fafsa form says this.

You are considered an "independent" student. This means you are not required to answer questions about your parents.However, you may want to answer questions about your parents if:
you are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
your school requires parental information from all students.
Do you want to answer questions about your parents?

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 am

I think in the situation where one is using fafsa for UG, parental info is helpful if they can add to the financial need case...

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 am

isn't any parental income only going to diminish the financial need case by reducing EFC? if there is no parental info given then possibly they assume the parental contribution to be zero

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Right, except if the student lived w the parents and had no other source of income...it could actually benefit the student in the (albeit uncommon) situation where there is a household of 5+ with one low income earner as a parent...either way, i see no reason why law schools would need this info, except to claim the student has a higher efc. I would just fight the "I'm independent" fight, and try hard not to have to release parental info unless it actually helped my case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”