Sending your (and your parents') federal tax returns Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lefthandofdarkness

New

Sending your (and your parents') federal tax returns

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Do I need to send my and my parents' tax returns to all the schools to which I was admitted now along with the FAFSA and Need Access, or do I wait until I choose to enroll at a school? Is this dependent on the school? Are people sending their returns anywhere in the T14 yet?

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Sending your (and your parents') federal tax returns

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 pm

lefthandofdarkness wrote:Do I need to send my and my parents' tax returns to all the schools to which I was admitted now along with the FAFSA and Need Access, or do I wait until I choose to enroll at a school? Is this dependent on the school? Are people sending their returns anywhere in the T14 yet?

Thanks!
I think most schools that care about your parents' finances just have you fill out Need Access. I didn't send any tax returns anywhere except to the IRS.

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lefthandofdarkness wrote:Do I need to send my and my parents' tax returns to all the schools to which I was admitted now along with the FAFSA and Need Access, or do I wait until I choose to enroll at a school? Is this dependent on the school? Are people sending their returns anywhere in the T14 yet?

Thanks!
I think most schools that care about your parents' finances just have you fill out Need Access. I didn't send any tax returns anywhere except to the IRS.
Stanford: "All students receiving tuition fellowship must submit signed photocopies of their own 2014 federal income tax return. Students receiving tuition fellowship are also required to submit their parents’ 2014 tax return. Please be advised that no tuition fellowship will be credited to a student’s account without copies of these tax returns in our office."

Cornell: "If you wish to be considered for institutional scholarships please submit the following: ... Submit a copy of parent 2014 federal tax return...Submit a copy of student 2014 federal tax return."

There are similar instructions for other schools; I just don't know whether I need to send copies to all of them now or only to the school I choose once I choose.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 pm

I stand corrected. The T14s I applied to didn't ask for them, I don't think.

From those, it sounds like you have to send them to Cornell before they'll even think about scholarships, and with Stanford it sounds like more of a box to check before they'll actually disburse your money. But earlier probably wouldn't hurt.

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Columbia requires them to be submitted by the same deadline as the FASFA, Need Access and their institutional form.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Do you send by mail, email, or fax? If by mail, did you enclose a cover letter or some sort of identification?

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:15 pm

lefthandofdarkness wrote:Do you send by mail, email, or fax? If by mail, did you enclose a cover letter or some sort of identification?
It seems from the instructions schools want them by mail, but it might be worth asking. I think a cover letter is a good idea.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:53 am

I would send them as soon as you get them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”