Scholarship Process Etiquette Questions Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tealeaves12

Bronze

Scholarship Process Etiquette Questions

Post by tealeaves12 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:54 pm

I am looking for any and all input on how to go about the scholarship process, etiquette-wise. Not just negotiations, but acceptances, questions, denials, etc.

For Example:

(1) Do I respond to every email/letter offering aid? (even if it is unlikely i will accept... or even if i don't know what i'm going to do yet/haven't heard back from others yet, etc). Is it rude to just leave it hanging there until I know what I'm going to do next? Or would responding somehow disadvantage me in negotiation process (what kind of response would disadvantage, vs what kind of response would benefit, etc).

(2) Is it possible to convince financial aid to push back the deadline to accept or deny the award? (example: GW has a hard April 1 deadline - must accept scholarship before initial seat deposit is due... but this is before I will probably even be accepted or denied into other schools).

(3) When should I arrange an in person meeting to discuss financial aid. Is this possible? and what is the best way to arrange this?

(4) what is the most polite, yet effective, way to leverage other offers when negotiating scholarship?

(5) Is there any way to negotiate residency in a public school with a cheaper in state tuition? Has anyone ever successfully negotiated an agreement whereby they get their second and/or third year tuition at state rate, etc?

Thanks for your opinions/experiences.

(Late Edit -- I have applied to over 20 schools so specifically, or generally, any answers would be enlightening)
Last edited by tealeaves12 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motoman92

New

Re: Scholarship Process Etiquette Questions

Post by motoman92 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Also curious about (2)

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Scholarship Process Etiquette Questions

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:40 pm

This probably covers everything:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=27221

I think the short answers are
1) No
2) Email them and try
3) Probably possible, email them and try. I'd do it when you feel comfortable walking away if they don't play want to play ball.
4) Check out the linked thread
5) Email them and try

Return to “Financial Aid”