Negotiating with Pepperdine & Santa Clara Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sieghart

New

Negotiating with Pepperdine & Santa Clara

Post by sieghart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 am

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on negotiating with either Pepperdine or Santa Clara and my chances for getting better offers? I'm financing law school with my own savings and I'm about to finish paying off my undergraduate loans so the amount of money I get is pretty important in my decision process. Haven't decided where I want to attend yet but I'm trying to send a few e-mails off ASAP.

Placed seat deposits at Pepperdine & Santa Clara.

Pepperdine - 15k + Top 50% Stip (Looking to get more money primarily, losing stipulation would be nice)
Santa Clara - 30k + 3.0 Stip (Looking to get a little bit more money, but losing stipulation is my main goal)
American - 17.5k + Good Academic Standing (It's just there for leverage)
Lewis & Clark - 20k + ~2.7 stip? (Looking to get more money)
Wake Forest - 25k + Good Academic Standing (Main leverage)

Thanks.

paayter

Bronze

Re: Negotiating with Pepperdine & Santa Clara

Post by paayter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 am

sieghart wrote:Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on negotiating with either Pepperdine or Santa Clara and my chances for getting better offers? I'm financing law school with my own savings and I'm about to finish paying off my undergraduate loans so the amount of money I get is pretty important in my decision process. Haven't decided where I want to attend yet but I'm trying to send a few e-mails off ASAP.

Pepperdine - 15k + Top 50% Stip (Looking to get more money primarily, losing stipulation would be nice)
Santa Clara - 30k + 3.0 Stip (Looking to get a little bit more money, but losing stipulation is my main goal)

Thanks.
personally, not to be a negative nancy i dont think you'll get any extra money. most of the schools you got in to seem to be of lower rank, and pepperdine might not even bother looking at american because its not considered a "competitor" law school. i think for you it may depend on how many people decide to send in second deposits and how good the numbers on the waitlisted group. i tried negotiating before the first deposit and they gave me the we go off a matrix to be fair, we may re evaluate etc. my last attempt was right before first deposit and i said i needed more and that is the reason why i am withdrawing. they just replied good luck! lol but i hope u the best, maybe itll be different since u are staying in the game longer. i think this year pepperdine raised their tuition to 50k per year.

sieghart

New

Re: Negotiating with Pepperdine & Santa Clara

Post by sieghart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am

paayter wrote:
sieghart wrote:Hi guys!

Thanks.
personally, not to be a negative nancy i dont think you'll get any extra money. most of the schools you got in to seem to be of lower rank, and pepperdine might not even bother looking at american because its not considered a "competitor" law school. i think for you it may depend on how many people decide to send in second deposits and how good the numbers on the waitlisted group. i tried negotiating before the first deposit and they gave me the we go off a matrix to be fair, we may re evaluate etc. my last attempt was right before first deposit and i said i needed more and that is the reason why i am withdrawing. they just replied good luck! lol but i hope u the best, maybe itll be different since u are staying in the game longer. i think this year pepperdine raised their tuition to 50k per year.
Darn.

You don't think Wake Forest's offer would help any bit? It's 23 ranks higher than Pepperdine with a better stipulation and cheaper CoL. It's also 76 ranks higher than Santa Clara, no budging there? Gah, well it doesn't hurt to try I guess.

Return to “Financial Aid”