Negotiating aid while you're abroad Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tmkm

New

Negotiating aid while you're abroad

Post by tmkm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 pm

For those of you who have already successfully negotiated aid with schools before, was everything done via email, or did it require you to communicate over the phone/in person at any point?

I will be away all of April in Asia and will not be able to communicate with schools other than through email. Do you foresee this being a problem?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: Negotiating aid while you're abroad

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:05 pm

This is why Skype exists.

rackylo

New

Post by rackylo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:15 pm

tmkm wrote:For those of you who have already successfully negotiated aid with schools before, was everything done via email, or did it require you to communicate over the phone/in person at any point?

I will be away all of April in Asia and will not be able to communicate with schools other than through email. Do you foresee this being a problem?
Most negotiations are done by email. Negotiating on phone forces schools to answer you right away, and that's probably a bad thing.

sheepishsmirk

New

Post by sheepishsmirk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 pm

I negotiated my aid entirely via email. All the schools I applied to knew I was abroad (because of my mailing address, actually, so I had already had communication with the office about emailing me PDFs of admissions documents), but I'm sure if you mention you'd prefer to inquire over email due to your locational limitations they'll be understanding. Since I was the one asking the favor I always offered to arrange a time to call if it was more comfortable for the admissions office, but they never took me up on it. Why call when emailing is so much more efficient?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”