Negotiating w/ Chicago or NYU Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
carolinainmymind

Bronze

Negotiating w/ Chicago or NYU

Post by carolinainmymind » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Any experiences negotiating with either of these schools? I received $$, but was hoping for more. My main leverage would be H acceptance and/or Levy (full tuition) at Penn.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Re: Negotiating w/ Chicago or NYU

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:30 pm

carolinainmymind wrote:Any experiences negotiating with either of these schools? I received $$, but was hoping for more. My main leverage would be H acceptance and/or Levy (full tuition) at Penn.
Chicago has a standard form you fill out to request a scholarship review. I think you have to email the finaid department to get the form, though.

No idea about NYU.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Is there a solid rule of thumb for these schools?

Something like

1. HYS acceptance - you get money
2. Money from Top Schools - you get money.

Something like that. Just a quick sort of guide.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:09 pm

I once tried to negotiate with Chicago based on money I got from a school ranked in the 10-15 range. They said "Sorry, but we would need to see a financial offer from a peer institution" in the most condescending and stuck up way possible. I knew they weren't going to give me anything, but it was the way in which they denied my request that made me lol.

chadder211

New

Post by chadder211 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:22 pm

I am in a similar boat and would love to hear what you end up doing. As of now, I have a scholarship offer from U Chicago, but I'd really like NYU to at least match it. I'm not sure how they will respond, but I am thinking about sending them a letter or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”