Need Access? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BoyOhBoyle

New

Re: Need Access?

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi all,

So I just started filling out my Need Access forms (so much fun) and it seems like filling out the parent forms is required. I am 33 years old and have lived on my own since 18; my parents have never contributed to my school costs, nor are they going to help me out with law school. Do I really have to have my parents fill this out? Or should I contact each school to find out if they will accept it without the parent info? Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vuthy

Bronze

Post by vuthy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am

BoyOhBoyle wrote:Hi all,

So I just started filling out my Need Access forms (so much fun) and it seems like filling out the parent forms is required. I am 33 years old and have lived on my own since 18; my parents have never contributed to my school costs, nor are they going to help me out with law school. Do I really have to have my parents fill this out? Or should I contact each school to find out if they will accept it without the parent info? Thanks so much in advance for your help! :)
Similarly situated here. I think it depends on the school. I asked GULC about this and they replied:

If you are a full-time student who wants to apply for Need-based Grant Aid, you MUST submit parental information on the Need Access Application, regardless of your age, marital status, or independence.

Asked same question of NYU by email but haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Just noticed exact same language in the NYU financial aid email.

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 am

vuthy wrote:
BoyOhBoyle wrote:Hi all,

Similarly situated here. I think it depends on the school. I asked GULC about this and they replied:

If you are a full-time student who wants to apply for Need-based Grant Aid, you MUST submit parental information on the Need Access Application, regardless of your age, marital status, or independence.

Asked same question of NYU by email but haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Just noticed exact same language in the NYU financial aid email.
Well that is terrible news :( I'll be lucky if my mother fills out the forms before school starts, if ever. Ugh.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:25 pm

I would think the likelihood of any significant need-based aid (outside HYS) is extremely low excluding unique circumstances. I think many 0Ls file their taxes as independents even if they live at home and make little money. Do schools keep that sort of thing in mind when assessing who gets what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:32 am

So, some schools make you fill out parental info if you're 30+? Seriously? I know many of them don't.

What if this info isn't accessible to me? What a shameful policy. I hope most aren't this stringent ...

lawschool55

New

Post by lawschool55 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyway submitting a need access could hurt me in terms of merit-aid? For example, if the schools saw that my parents made a certain amount and said "they don't need aid because their family has money."

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:53 pm

filling this out is making me want to shoot myself. its that bad!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 am

W$RKliveWELL wrote:filling this out is making me want to shoot myself. its that bad!!!!!
It's really extensive. Like crazy extensive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”