Housing question? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Chriz

Bronze

Housing question?

Post by Chriz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 am

I am looking at various apartments in one city I am considering going to law school. I have found a cheap apartment near campus aron $700. There is a high rise near there that would be $970 but I could live on the 6th floor away from the noise of the city. Do you think it would be better to pay more and be able to sleep better and live in a better place or to pay less and have to deal with sleep issues and a crappy enviroment?

Black Hat

Bronze

Re: Housing question?

Post by Black Hat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:09 am

Chriz wrote:I am looking at various apartments in one city I am considering going to law school. I have found a cheap apartment near campus aron $700. There is a high rise near there that would be $970 but I could live on the 6th floor away from the noise of the city. Do you think it would be better to pay more and be able to sleep better and live in a better place or to pay less and have to deal with sleep issues and a crappy enviroment?
IMO, sleep and relaxation when you get home is EXTREMELY important! Law school will be hell and you NEED a place to recharge. However, you could always wear ear plugs at night or use a loud fan to drown out the city noise. I use a fan to drown out the noise of the highway near my apartment.

Your environment at home is a crucial consideration. I like to do a lot of my work at home. However, I know a lot of people who do their work at school because they have crappy home situations (roommates etc.). You are already at school for 7 or 8 hours as it is. I like to go home and work because it is more relaxing (noise, temperature, wear whatever). You are going to have A LOT of work to do outside of the class room.

It's a toss up, depends on how sensitive you are.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:02 am

Well another consideration is that efficiencies and studios are more expensive than living with roommates. Is it better to maybe live alone so you can have more peace?

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:50 am

Chriz wrote:Well another consideration is that efficiencies and studios are more expensive than living with roommates. Is it better to maybe live alone so you can have more peace?

If you can afford it I would definitely recommend living alone. You can always meet people your first year and select a "compatible" roommate for your 2L year. I am a antisocial person and couldn't imagine living with roommates.

The thing is, you are going to have important shit to do and room mates are not always going to be able to sympathize with that. They may be loud when you are trying to sleep/study. I keep a weird schedule as well which is random and I am sure would be hard to sync with another person.

Most importantly everything is exactly the same when you get home. No new dirty dish's, nothing has moved, I don't have anyone's problems/pet peeves to contend with.

My advice, don't have a room mate (if you can afford it) your first year. Feel it out and then decide how best to proceed for your second year, and so on.

IMO.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:19 am

Chriz wrote:I am looking at various apartments in one city I am considering going to law school. I have found a cheap apartment near campus aron $700. There is a high rise near there that would be $970 but I could live on the 6th floor away from the noise of the city. Do you think it would be better to pay more and be able to sleep better and live in a better place or to pay less and have to deal with sleep issues and a crappy enviroment?
Just going to toss the fact out there that the 6th floor will not get you "away from the noise of the city." I live on the 31st floor and hear every bus, every car alarm, every siren.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Just going to toss the fact out there that the 6th floor will not get you "away from the noise of the city." I live on the 31st floor and hear every bus, every car alarm, every siren.

The fourth floor of the library is pretty loud as well. You can hear all the sirens and buses.

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Well... It's a smaller city but I see the point. I am hoping to get full tuition so housing and fees books etc will be my only debt I have to take on. Mayb I should just spring for a nice efficiency on my own. It would only be like 3,000 more for the year and then I can live with people in the 2nd and 3rd year when things aren't as important and I can relax a little bit more and I am more used to law school.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Chriz wrote:Well... It's a smaller city but I see the point. I am hoping to get full tuition so housing and fees books etc will be my only debt I have to take on. Mayb I should just spring for a nice efficiency on my own. It would only be like 3,000 more for the year and then I can live with people in the 2nd and 3rd year when things aren't as important and I can relax a little bit more and I am more used to law school.

Good idea, but I'd say the 2nd and 3rd years are still pretty important! Good luck!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Chriz wrote:Well... It's a smaller city but I see the point. I am hoping to get full tuition so housing and fees books etc will be my only debt I have to take on. Mayb I should just spring for a nice efficiency on my own. It would only be like 3,000 more for the year and then I can live with people in the 2nd and 3rd year when things aren't as important and I can relax a little bit more and I am more used to law school.
A thinking moving from a "nice efficiency" to a house/apartment with other people would be a downgrade for more than just financial reasons, but I am a scrooge when it comes to roommates. :lol:

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 am

It might be better to have less money available to me though since then I won't be tempted to do a lot of other things besides studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”