Fordham Law - Negotiating Merit Scholarship (PLEASE HELP) Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
infalliblyyours

New

Fordham Law - Negotiating Merit Scholarship (PLEASE HELP)

Post by infalliblyyours » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm

I'd really like to negotiate my merit scholarship from Fordham, but I have no idea how to begin, aside from being gracious about having been accepted. I haven't heard back from any school closer to Fordham's rank, though I did receive full scholarships from St. John's and Hofstra, as well as full tuition scholarships from various other (inferior) schools, and $90k/3 years from Northeastern. But I don't think mentioning any of these would really help. Any advice or suggestions? Please help ASAP.

(Also, since I know Fordham has a reputation of being stingy, I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful negotiating a merit scholarship from the law school, and what kind of need-based scholarships they tend to give in general? Because I've only received $5k/year from them, and the cost is so daunting, I can't even fathom it. But I would love to attend the school and don't want to deny it based on cost alone.)

RedGiant

Re: Fordham Law - Negotiating Merit Scholarship (PLEASE HELP)

Post by RedGiant » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am

infalliblyyours wrote:I'd really like to negotiate my merit scholarship from Fordham, but I have no idea how to begin, aside from being gracious about having been accepted. I haven't heard back from any school closer to Fordham's rank, though I did receive full scholarships from St. John's and Hofstra, as well as full tuition scholarships from various other (inferior) schools, and $90k/3 years from Northeastern. But I don't think mentioning any of these would really help. Any advice or suggestions? Please help ASAP.

(Also, since I know Fordham has a reputation of being stingy, I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful negotiating a merit scholarship from the law school, and what kind of need-based scholarships they tend to give in general? Because I've only received $5k/year from them, and the cost is so daunting, I can't even fathom it. But I would love to attend the school and don't want to deny it based on cost alone.)
If it makes you feel any better, I too am having nightmares about attending Fordham at sticker. Nightmares. Legit ones.

njpark

New

Re: Fordham Law - Negotiating Merit Scholarship (PLEASE HELP)

Post by njpark » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm

infalliblyyours wrote:I'd really like to negotiate my merit scholarship from Fordham, but I have no idea how to begin, aside from being gracious about having been accepted. I haven't heard back from any school closer to Fordham's rank, though I did receive full scholarships from St. John's and Hofstra, as well as full tuition scholarships from various other (inferior) schools, and $90k/3 years from Northeastern. But I don't think mentioning any of these would really help. Any advice or suggestions? Please help ASAP.

I'll be attending the Evening Division while working full-time to offset the cost of law school. I'm not sure how differently (or if there even is a difference) they assess how to distribute merit and need-based scholarships amongst PT students and FT students, but I'll share my experience. I was awarded $5000/yr in merit scholarship and didn't bother negotiating for any more because I wasn't expecting anything at all in the first place. After I submitted my FAFSA, I was awarded an additional amount in need-based scholarship (about 4x the amount of merit scholarship). So I guess it really is true that Fordham awards way more need-based than merit scholarships... did you hear anything from them after you submitted your FAFSA?

Return to “Financial Aid”