Taking loans for health insurance if still covered by parent Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Bronze

Taking loans for health insurance if still covered by parent

Post by 02889 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 pm

As you can guess by the thread title, I'm curious about being able to take out loans for the health insurance portion of the student expense budget if I'm covered by my parents' insurance (thanks, Obama!).

Do I have to justify my budget to sign up for loans or can I just elect to take the full student budget, no questions asked? I'd use the extra $2,000 for a computer and whatever other expenses come up.

Thanks, and excuse my present ignorance on loans!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Taking loans for health insurance if still covered by parent

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm

02889 wrote:As you can guess by the thread title, I'm curious about being probabo take out loans for the health insurance portion of the student expense budget if I'm covered by my parents' insurance (thanks, Obama!).

Do I have to justify my budget to sign up for loans or can I just elect to take the full student budget, no questions asked? I'd use the extra $2,000 for a computer and whatever other expenses come up.

I doubt there's anything to prevent you. Except for the teeny fact that it's probably fraud.

Doesn't your school's loan budget include a computer? Mine did.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
02889 wrote:As you can guess by the thread title, I'm curious about being probabo take out loans for the health insurance portion of the student expense budget if I'm covered by my parents' insurance (thanks, Obama!).

I doubt there's anything to prevent you. Except for the teeny fact that it's probably fraud.

Fraud? How so? Is it also illegal to take out loans for your full room & board allotment if you knew you were going to come in under budget? It seems like if you pay back the loans it's unlikely to be fraud, but that's just uninformed intuition.

As for the laptop specifically, yes, I'm sure I could get a budget adjustment for a laptop if that isn't already built in.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 am

02889 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Fraud? How so? Is it also illegal to take out loans for your full room & board allotment if you knew you were going to come in under budget? It seems like if you pay back the loans it's unlikely to be fraud, but that's just uninformed intuition.

As for the laptop specifically, yes, I'm sure I could get a budget adjustment for a laptop if that isn't already built in.
Jesus, are you serious? It is fraud to take out $ given to you by the government for one thing with the intent of spending it on something else, period, whether that is borrowing $ for health insurance to buy a computer or purposely borrowing extra COL money to....take out useless $ at 8% interest? Taking out more than you need because you overestimated in GF the amount you need is different.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

At my law school, you have to submit receipts for a computer if you're taking out loans for one. Same thing with health insurance, you have to submit something from your insurance provider demonstrating the cost of the plan for which you're borrowing.

So, unless you just want to upgrade your insurance to something better than what you have now, it doesn't really make sense for you.

ETA: yeah, what you'd like to do is called fraud. Also, we read numerous cases in professional responsibility where students used financial aid $ on non-school related expenses and then were not permitted to sit for the bar. So, risks and rewards.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 am

cinephile wrote:At my law school, you have to submit receipts for a computer if you're taking out loans for one. Same thing with health insurance, you have to submit something from your insurance provider demonstrating the cost of the plan for which you're borrowing.

So, unless you just want to upgrade your insurance to something better than what you have now, it doesn't really make sense for you.

ETA: yeah, what you'd like to do is called fraud. Also, we read numerous cases in professional responsibility where students used financial aid $ on non-school related expenses and then were not permitted to sit for the bar. So, risks and rewards.
The part before your edit is all I was asking everyone, so thanks for that response. I don't know how it works when taking out loans (obviously), so I was asking if you take out loans for the total student expense budget, or if you're taking out the loans for each specific line item in the budget (like insurance). I would not claim I was paying for insurance if I wasn't, I was just asking if you take out the full loans regardless of which specific things you're spending on, or not.

Thanks everyone for your concern about potential fraud. :roll:

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, pretty sure tons of people just take out the full amount just in case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”