UCLA Negotiation Help Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Charlie.Home

Bronze

UCLA Negotiation Help

Post by Charlie.Home » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

I have received a small scholarship from UCLA and am trying to negotiate more. UCLA told me to check back after the deposit deadline, and by this time I will have missed all other schools deadline. Should I pay a deposit at another school to retain some leverage? I have a larger scholarship at WUSTL and ND. Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by Charlie.Home on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hrun

New

Re: UCLA Negotiation Help

Post by Hrun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Depends on your numbers. Are you set on attending law school this cycle? If so, I would pay the deposit at both UT and UCLA. If UCLA cares about their rankings, they might negotiate if you have numbers that matter to them. UT passed them this cycle in the rankings. I'm not sure if they'll care about WUSTL and ND unless you have full scholarships at these schools. By the way, congratulations on your acceptances. I wish I had UT and UCLA as options.

Charlie.Home

Bronze

Post by Charlie.Home » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the advice. I am set on UCLA but would be awesome to squeeze a little more $ out of them.

Would not paying another deposit be the end of negotiations? Would they ask me if I paid another deposit?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:Would not paying another deposit be the end of negotiations?
Ethically yes.

Charlie.Home

Bronze

Post by Charlie.Home » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Which deposit would you pay to retain leverage with UCLA? UCLA offered me 16k/year
Pay $200 Texas-- $4000 less per year than UCLA
Pay $300 WUSTL-- $10000 more per year than UCLA
Pay $300 Cornell-- No scholarship

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Charlie.Home

Bronze

Post by Charlie.Home » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 pm

And does this strategy even work/help? Thanks y'all

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 pm

WUSTL, and maybe. I think our going estimate is that negotiations work about one in twelve times.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't really see the WUSTL award working. I do know that strong arm tactics have worked on them this cycle for a couple of TLSers. Maybe threaten to withdraw? Would you be willing to do that and follow through with it?

What are your numbers?

Hrun

New

Post by Hrun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:Which deposit would you pay to retain leverage with UCLA? UCLA offered me 16k/year
Pay $200 Texas-- $4000 less per year than UCLA
Pay $300 WUSTL-- $10000 more per year than UCLA
Pay $300 Cornell-- No scholarship
I don't understand this. I thought you said you got significant more money from UT. Do you mean UT would cost 4,000 less per year and WUSTL gave you 10,000 more?
BigZuck wrote:I don't really see the WUSTL award working. I do know that strong arm tactics have worked on them this cycle for a couple of TLSers. Maybe threaten to withdraw? Would you be willing to do that and follow through with it?

What are your numbers?
I also doubt WUSTL would matter much to them. Like BigZuck says, you could complain that you can't handle that debt load and might have to withdraw as a result despite UCLA being your top choice. This might make them a little more conciliatory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”