What should I do? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
wonderwall87

New

What should I do?

Post by wonderwall87 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Looking for honest advice: I am 26, I have been working as a freelance marketing consultant/freelance writer for sometime now, mainly because I took a year off to have a baby and with a gap in my resume I have found it extremely hard to get back into a firm. I want/ed to go to law school, got a 160 LSAT, nice GPA, a lot of personal softs on the apps. So far I was waitlisted on Fordham, accepted to Cardozo with $15k, Brooklyn with 20K and Hofstra with 40K. I am at a loss - I want to go to law school, get my career started down a different path but I, like most of you, can't afford the risk. Hofstra is enticing with the 40K but obviously its an incredibly low ranking school and with high stipulations. I loved Cardozo but with only 15K a year the debt will be too high for me to risk.... I am not at a point to put another year of my life on hold to do another round of LSAT prep and retake.... is it worth it to take Hofstra's offer if your alternatives outside of law school don't appear to be that lucrative?

guano

Gold

Re: What should I do?

Post by guano » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm

wonderwall87 wrote:is it worth it to take Hofstra's offer ?
NO

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Dude, I'm older than you. 1 year isn't that long, and the benefits could save you tens of thousands in tuition and net you hundreds of thousands in income.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 pm

guano wrote:
wonderwall87 wrote:is it worth it to take Hofstra's offer ?
NO
+1, unless you're content with having a coin flips' chance at becoming a lawyer. Also, wrong forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”