Can I ask for more money without competing offers? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bellbane12

New

Can I ask for more money without competing offers?

Post by bellbane12 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

Am thinking about writing USC to ask for slightly more scholarship money, but don't have a competing offer from a peer school (just lower ranked schools). Has anyone ever gotten more money just by asking?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Can I ask for more money without competing offers?

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm

bellbane12 wrote:Am thinking about writing USC to ask for slightly more scholarship money, but don't have a competing offer from a peer school (just lower ranked schools). Has anyone ever gotten more money just by asking?
I'm sure you can ask, but what incentive would they have to give? you could say at current price, you wouldn't be able to attend, but thats about it. I'm personally hoping schools get desperate closer to apr 30 and raise offers

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Might as well try... Ask them to kindly reconsider your offer given that you (a) are debt averse and (b) really want to attend USC but are strongly considering another institution because of the financial flexibility they are offering.

My two cents.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 am

Never hurts to ask! I think florida1949 outlined a good approach. You may not be as competitive as other people as far as merit scholarship negotiations go, but why not give it a try.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”