anxiety about scholarship negotiation Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bellbane12

New

anxiety about scholarship negotiation

Post by bellbane12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 pm

I would like to send a scholarship negotiation letter, but I am anxious that the school will be like "lol no" and that it would somehow jeopardize my admissions offer.
Has anyone ever had a bad experience like this? Or are there any tips on not offending the school?

Ramius

Gold

Re: anxiety about scholarship negotiation

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 pm

I hear any prospective student trying to negotiate for aid automatically drops 10% in their 1L rankings.

In all seriousness, negotiating will never harm you. Remember that once you are accepted, THEY are fighting over YOU, not the other way around. With the massive decline in applications, you might be a hot commodity for them.

Worst case scenario is that they say, "no thanks, but we'd still love to see you this Fall!" in which case you're exactly where you started.

bellbane12

New

Post by bellbane12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:51 pm

I was just wondering if I would come off as too entitled. But I guess law schools get this all the time from 0Ls?

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm

bellbane12 wrote:I was just wondering if I would come off as too entitled. But I guess law schools get this all the time from 0Ls?
Obviously try not to sound like a whiny brat when you draft it, but so long as you're respectful and professional, they won't hold it against you. Negotiating scholarships is a time-honored tradition.

Think of it like you're haggling for $100 off the price of that rusted 1972 VW Beetle (at least if you're negotiating with Cooley or something like that).

If you'd like, I'd be happy to read over your negotiation letter/email and tell as an unbiased observer how you present yourself. It'll at least give you peace of mind on how you come off to someone you've never met before.

Also check out this thread to see just how prevalent negotiating is:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=27221
Last edited by Ramius on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 pm

As long as you're polite, there is no harm that can come from negotiating. During my entire time on TLS, the only time I have EVER heard of something bad happening to a student who negotiated was because the student lied about offers from other schools and admissions (easily) found out.

Also, regarding being "entitled" - that's foolish. Law school tuition is an expensive scam. You need to do what you have to to get your cost of attendance lowered. You're not going to hurt the school's feelings or look greedy. The school will be fine - it's you who will be left with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Don't worry about coming across as ungrateful - this is your life, and law schools don't deserve to be revered.

This isn't to say you should be rude or anything - far from it - just that the school isn't doing you some big favor by letting you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend, and this notion that you're somehow being entitled by respectfully negotiating needs to go.

(This isn't just directed at the OP; I see people hesitant to negotiate all the time.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bellbane12

New

Post by bellbane12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

great, thanks for the perspective

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 pm

And to echo what a previous poster said, if you're nervous about how the actual email ends up sounding, we'll be happy to look over it and give you feedback!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:59 pm

bellbane12 wrote:I would like to send a scholarship negotiation letter, but I am anxious that the school will be like "lol no" and that it would somehow jeopardize my admissions offer.
Has anyone ever had a bad experience like this? Or are there any tips on not offending the school?
They are not going to rescind your offer, lol. That's a hugely onerous task even in the worst of scenarios. You are fine, they get this all the time. Also, my guess is people who worry about coming off as entitled are not entitled at all, and this will come through in your letter. Have at it!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm

OP, the best thing you can do is go and ask for money in person. They will definitely respect that.

If you want to guarantee that you will get the big $$$, be sure to wear this when you meet with them:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thand42292

New

Post by thand42292 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 am

Has anyone had any luck with negotiation this cycle?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

Is it wiser to submit a negotiation letter after admitted students week or to submit it as soon as possible?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

thand42292 wrote:Has anyone had any luck with negotiation this cycle?
Yes

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 pm

Dany wrote:During my entire time on TLS, the only time I have EVER heard of something bad happening to a student who negotiated was because the student lied about offers from other schools and admissions (easily) found out.
If you gave me a link to that thread, you would be my hero. I need a good laugh right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Dany wrote:During my entire time on TLS, the only time I have EVER heard of something bad happening to a student who negotiated was because the student lied about offers from other schools and admissions (easily) found out.
If you gave me a link to that thread, you would be my hero. I need a good laugh right now.
http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 am

Negotiate. Try not to sound like an entitled dick, and obviously be honest.

Negotiating saved me ~$20,000 over the course of three years at an already inexpensive state school. It's probably the most money you will ever make (perhaps the most money you won't lose is a better way of putting it) in exchange for 5 minutes of your time.

I feel bad for some of my classmates who are paying more than me and had better numbers -- all because they weren't aware that sending a simple e-mail could save them a ton of money. Previous posters are right. Schools are fighting over you at this point. Short of saying "Hey you bag of dicks, give me more money cause I'm super speshul" or flat out lying about other offers, I promise negotiating won't hurt you at all.

Also, do multiple rounds of negotiation unless you've already told X school that you'd come for X price.

Negotiating for scholarships is probably the best advice on TLS. Always TCR.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am

Dany wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17
Thanks! I'm not sure which is more hilarious: the fact that the applicant thought he or she could get away with it, or how easily the law school called his or her bluff. Ridiculous.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:43 am

I heard an interview with a Dean yesterday where he said something along the lines of "once you're admitted, the game instantly changes to where the law school is the buyer of a scarce good", put some prospective on it for me.

Worse case they say no, they deal with this all the time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:I heard an interview with a Dean yesterday where he said something along the lines of "once you're admitted, the game instantly changes to where the law school is the buyer of a scarce good", put some prospective on it for me.

wannabelawstudent wrote:I heard an interview with a Dean yesterday where he said something along the lines of "once you're admitted, the game instantly changes to where the law school is the buyer of a scarce good", put some prospective on it for me.

So so so true.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 am

I sent a negotiation letter to all of the schools I was seriously interested in when I applied (about 7 or 8). I think all but 2 gave me more money. Some schools gave me SUBSTANTIALLY more. Just be polite, explain that you're very interested in the school because of x, y, and z but that you're hesitant because of v, and you'll likely get more money.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 am

llachans wrote:I sent a negotiation letter to all of the schools I was seriously interested in when I applied (about 7 or 8). I think all but 2 gave me more money. Some schools gave me SUBSTANTIALLY more. Just be polite, explain that you're very interested in the school because of x, y, and z but that you're hesitant because of v, and you'll likely get more money.
What kind of schools are we talking about here?

Eta: meaning around what ranking?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”