need access- parental contribution Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jubee

Bronze

need access- parental contribution

Post by jubee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 am

Simple question- the need access i'm filling out asks for the amount of income contribution from parents for the 13-14 academic year. This is something I do not know for sure- it will depend on which school, if/how much scholarship money I receive, and my parents jobs and financial situation a few months down the road accessed in combination with that info.

Do they expect this figure to be accurate? Is it okay to guess and be off by large amounts? Don't want to get in trouble for putting a too low or inaccurate figure but I really won't know either way for a little while.

Thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: need access- parental contribution

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 am

Estimate. FAFSA is wildly inaccurate anyway. (For instance, it makes no allowance for someone who quits their job in the summer to attend law school: you are counted as having an entire year's income that year.)

jubee

Bronze

Post by jubee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:00 pm

thank you for the advice! just to make sure since you mentioned FAFSA; same advice holds true for Need Access?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm

jubee wrote:thank you for the advice! just to make sure since you mentioned FAFSA; same advice holds true for Need Access?
NeedAccess is much more detailed and less inaccurate. Still estimate, but be as close as you can, and fix it and resubmit later if you get better numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”