Parental information on FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
username101

New

Parental information on FAFSA

Post by username101 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm

I know as a law student I'll be considered independent, and some schools say they don't require parent's information on the FAFSA. But, will it hurt if I do provide the information? Or will they just completely ignore it?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Re: Parental information on FAFSA

Post by Cellar-door » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 am

If it isn't required why would you bother putting it on there?
Do you just really enjoy filling out tax information?
If so perhaps you should forget about law school and become an accountant.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 am

'm fairly sure that under 30(?) you are required to put your parental information on FAFSA. For the most part, no one gives a shit - most schools don't give need-based aid (those that do tend to use need-access) and you'll still be eligible for federal loans

username101

New

Post by username101 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 am

Cellar-door wrote:If it isn't required why would you bother putting it on there?
it's just that some schools require it, and others don't. just wanted to fill it out all at once

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 pm

username101 wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:If it isn't required why would you bother putting it on there?
it's just that some schools require it, and others don't. just wanted to fill it out all at once
I don't think you understand how the FAFSA form works. You fill out the form COMPLETELY, according to the rules on the form. Schools will get your info., and each financial aid department will do with it what they want. There are very specific rules, clearly stated on the form, which state the info. required. You do not want to leave anything incomplete. Failure to complete such a simple form makes you look incompetant to law schools. As an attorney, you will fill out much more complicated forms.
I understand that this process makes us all a little neurotic. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 pm

dingbat wrote:'m fairly sure that under 30(?) you are required to put your parental information on FAFSA. For the most part, no one gives a shit - most schools don't give need-based aid (those that do tend to use need-access) and you'll still be eligible for federal loans
Nope, for FAFSA, all graduate students are independent.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dingbat wrote:'m fairly sure that under 30(?) you are required to put your parental information on FAFSA. For the most part, no one gives a shit - most schools don't give need-based aid (those that do tend to use need-access) and you'll still be eligible for federal loans
shit, I think you're right. I paid 0 attention to FAFSA, but I filled that and need access out at the same time and remember needing to explain that I was not in position to obtain parental information

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
This is correct according to Cornell fin aid site

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shit, I think you're right. I paid 0 attention to FAFSA, but I filled that and need access out at the same time and remember needing to explain that I was not in position to obtain parental information
It is easy to confuse the two. Need access has stricter exemption requirements and asks for more info. which is why a) it isn't used by all schools b) has a fee and c) is a much bigger pain in the ass.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

B90 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
It is easy to confuse the two. Need access has stricter exemption requirements and asks for more info. which is why a) it isn't used by all schools b) has a fee and c) is a much bigger pain in the ass.
d) has a terrible interface

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”