Is the university of florida law worth sticker in state? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
itachiuchiha

Silver

Is the university of florida law worth sticker in state?

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 pm

If that is the only top 50 school you are accepted into and in state tuition is around 15 grand?

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: Is the university of florida law worth sticker in state?

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:If that is the only top 50 school you are accepted into and in state tuition is around 15 grand?
According to LST, still costs $127k. Abysmal employment stats.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:51 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:If that is the only top 50 school you are accepted into and in state tuition is around 15 grand?
According to LST, still costs $127k. Abysmal employment stats.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida
wow, do you know if there a better option in Florida?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:08 pm

LST has FSU as a tiny bit better.
On the whole all the law schools in Florida are awful. Are you absolutely sure you want to practice in FLA?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Cellar-door wrote:LST has FSU as a tiny bit better.
On the whole all the law schools in Florida are awful. Are you absolutely sure you want to practice in FLA?
lived in ft lauderdale all my life

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:13 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
Might be time to get out for a while. I lived in Oregon for almost 30 years (since early childhood) and I decided that living elsewhere for a few years, along with going to a better school than any of the Oregon options, was something I needed to do.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:19 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
I wouldn't go by the options listed on school websites. You'll have tuition, rent and books. And then miscellaneous. Any state school, if you want to stay in that state, is going to be infinitely better if you already have legal ties to the area. One FL firm specifically, in an unprompted manner asked if I had the desire to stay in FL so I know they ask it and not in interview-related ?s.

Gainesville to some isn't exciting and is more of a UG school, but rent will cheap on average. Think about your reasons for going.

Fort Lauderale isn't Gainesville. Everyone that has ever been in FL for a longer time period knows that all of the different areas in FL are not the same. The Gulf side is so different than the East Coast and so on.

Obviously, take time to visit the school but across the board, state schools are solid options depending on where you want to eventually work.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:
I wouldn't go by the options listed on school websites. You'll have tuition, rent and books. And then miscellaneous. Any state school, if you want to stay in that state, is going to be infinitely better if you already have legal ties to the area. One FL firm specifically, in an unprompted manner asked if I had the desire to stay in FL so I know they ask it and not in interview-related ?s.

Gainesville to some isn't exciting and is more of a UG school, but rent will cheap on average. Think about your reasons for going.

Fort Lauderale isn't Gainesville. Everyone that has ever been in FL for a longer time period knows that all of the different areas in FL are not the same. The Gulf side is so different than the East Coast and so on.

Obviously, take time to visit the school but across the board, state schools are solid options depending on where you want to eventually work.
I have been working at a real estate law firm down here in fort lauderdale for some time, and I may apply with them after graduation.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am

To be fair, FSU stats, which not great, are still more than a "smidge" better than UF. If OP is work FL or bust, then FSU is the better option.

The cost is basically the same

nbj08

New

Post by nbj08 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:58 am

AbbeyRoadLaw wrote:
To be fair, FSU stats, which not great, are still more than a "smidge" better than UF. If OP is work FL or bust, then FSU is the better option.

The cost is basically the same

0L here, but WE in the State Capitol, so take fwiw.

As a Floridian, I can say with certainty that UF and FSU are viewed as equal in Florida legal markets. In South Florida, Miami will also be viewed favorably.

If OP is looking to spend as little as possible, while knowing they want to stay in Florida, go to whichever of UF and FSU will cost the least. If the cost is equal, visit both and see which you like.

Blatant FSU trolling: Tallahassee is better than Hogtown in every sense. Better nightlife, and more importantly, it's the state capital. Read: networking opportunities.

All that said, I cannot emphasize enough that OP must be convinced he/she wishes to stay in Florida. Both degrees are typically not very portable, from who I've talked to (and what I've seen on LSN and ABA).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”