NeedAccess Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Brysia

New

NeedAccess

Post by Brysia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am

I won't be able to get non-custodial parent to fill out NeedAccess.
Is this form required to be considered for any financial aid at schools that ask for it?
Would I be considered for merit aid without it?

Thanks.

cinephile

Gold

Re: NeedAccess

Post by cinephile » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 pm

NeedAccess is only for need based aid, so you should still be considered for merit aid.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 pm

I had this same problem. I filled out NeedAccess with the information I had, and there was somewhere for a brief addendum or explanation. I put in three sentences or so just explaining that I haven't seen this parent in 15 years, my family doesn't know where he lives, and he's six figures in child support arrears. (I'm sure you had to do the same thing for undergrad Profile form if you ever had to fill that out ... ).

Still got need-based aid at several schools. Don't stress about it.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:04 pm

cinephile wrote:NeedAccess is only for need based aid, so you should still be considered for merit aid.
Some schools (well, at least Northwestern) won't consider you for any aid at all, including merit, without all the financial aid app pieces, including NeedAccess, complete. (OTOH, NU doesn't ask for parental info.)

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Do schools ask you to provide documentation at all? I am filling out the Need Access and they ask about your Medical/Dental Expenses. I use Mint.com to track pretty much all my expenditures, so I pulled my figure from that + insurance premiums total on my 12/31/12 pay stub. I'm pretty confident my number is a good estimate but I probably don't have receipts for a fair number of the items included in my estimate. I would have receipts/documentation for anything big -- premiums, prescription drugs, one dental procedure. But it's not even worth including the couple hundred dollars spent on other smaller medical/dental expenses if a school might ask me to cough up receipts or worse, penalize me if I am unable to produce receipts for everything.

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 pm

risa wrote:Do schools ask you to provide documentation at all? I am filling out the Need Access and they ask about your Medical/Dental Expenses. I use Mint.com to track pretty much all my expenditures, so I pulled my figure from that + insurance premiums total on my 12/31/12 pay stub. I'm pretty confident my number is a good estimate but I probably don't have receipts for a fair number of the items included in my estimate. I would have receipts/documentation for anything big -- premiums, prescription drugs, one dental procedure. But it's not even worth including the couple hundred dollars spent on other smaller medical/dental expenses if a school might ask me to cough up receipts or worse, penalize me if I am unable to produce receipts for everything.

Thoughts?
You should be fine. You have enough documentation to show that you are not committing fraud by randomly making up numbers. It is not as bad as an IRS audit. As long as you don't lie/can show all your statements were made in good faith, you won't be "penalized". I would save what you have now in terms of paperwork "just in case," but don't stress about it. As long as you don't show up in a bentley and dripping with diamonds, no one is going to interrogate you.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 pm

dudders wrote:I had this same problem. I filled out NeedAccess with the information I had, and there was somewhere for a brief addendum or explanation. I put in three sentences or so just explaining that I haven't seen this parent in 15 years, my family doesn't know where he lives, and he's six figures in child support arrears. (I'm sure you had to do the same thing for undergrad Profile form if you ever had to fill that out ... ).

I did something similar to this.

Scrambles84

New

Post by Scrambles84 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Just to follow up on this, does anyone have any knowledge of submitting NeedAccess as being detrimental to chances for merit aid? I'm planning on submitting it along with FAFSA even though I think I'm extremely unlikely to receive any need aid, just want to make sure that it doesn't hurt my chances at merit aid.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Do I understand it correctly that I have to pay to submit this on top of my FAFSA. Especially considering my school requires it if I want to be considered for aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Br3v wrote:Do I understand it correctly that I have to pay to submit this on top of my FAFSA. Especially considering my school requires it if I want to be considered for aid.
Yep.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Scrambles84 wrote:Just to follow up on this, does anyone have any knowledge of submitting NeedAccess as being detrimental to chances for merit aid? I'm planning on submitting it along with FAFSA even though I think I'm extremely unlikely to receive any need aid, just want to make sure that it doesn't hurt my chances at merit aid.
Doubt it.

Plus some schools won't give you anything (loans or grants, merit or need) if you don't submit it.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Do I understand it correctly that I have to pay to submit this on top of my FAFSA. Especially considering my school requires it if I want to be considered for aid.
Yep.
Honestly even the site itself seemed a little suspect. I don't feel to comfortable submitting all my info into it but it is what it is I suppose.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Br3v wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Yep.
Honestly even the site itself seemed a little suspect. I don't feel to comfortable submitting all my info into it but it is what it is I suppose.
It's fine. Good schools require it, and no one's heard of anything sketchy.
Look at it this way: it gives the schools a much better picture of your finances. For one thing, it takes into account that a person who quits their job in July to start law school won't be making an entire year's salary that year. FAFSA assumes you made the same amount as the year before. :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 am

dudders wrote:I had this same problem. I filled out NeedAccess with the information I had, and there was somewhere for a brief addendum or explanation. I put in three sentences or so just explaining that I haven't seen this parent in 15 years, my family doesn't know where he lives, and he's six figures in child support arrears. (I'm sure you had to do the same thing for undergrad Profile form if you ever had to fill that out ... ).

Thank you for this. I've been really stressed out because I honestly have no idea where my father is or how to contact him and was stressed this would screw me over. TYTYTY.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 am

dproduct wrote:

Thank you for this. I've been really stressed out because I honestly have no idea where my father is or how to contact him and was stressed this would screw me over. TYTYTY.
Also, once you are accepted you can deal directly with the financial aid department at your school. It is easier to deal with a specific person. Sadly, you are not alone in your situation; there are many students who don't have contact with one or both parents. Someone will know how to help you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”