Do Law Scholarships Require Grade Maintenance? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ksllaw

Bronze

Do Law Scholarships Require Grade Maintenance?

Post by ksllaw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 am

In general, do scholarhips granted for law school (prior to attendance) require that the student maintain a certain law school GPA? If so, what types of GPA ranges are we talking about?

I'm especially curious, because of how unpredictable law school GPA/rank can be....you won't know how well you'll do until later and it's based on a curve with your classmates. It would seem difficult, then, to know whether one could keep his or her scholarship if they're grade based and the anxiety would seem very high, no?

Appreciate your help and insights!

padawanphil

Bronze

Re: Do Law Scholarships Require Grade Maintenance?

Post by padawanphil » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:11 am

It varies from school to school. I don't know which schools you've applied to so I can't help too much here, but if you use the search function at the bottom of the forums page you should be able to find what you're looking for. To be clear, when you get a scholly offer from a school it will list the stipulations that come along with it (ie top 50% of class or maintain a 3.0, which is basically another way for them to state the same thing since it's a curve). I'm from Cali so I applied mostly to Cali schools and there were a few different methods employed by the schools. Loyola had something close to a top half requirement. As did Pepp. Chapman had a sneaky top third requirement (they required a 3.0, but their median that they don't tell you about is a 2.8 ). Those were the only ones that had stips on the schollies that I can think of.

Also, take those stips seriously. Many people see a top half requirement and think oh, sure I can do that easy without thinking about the fact that they've never taken a legal exam before or the fact that it's a shitload of money they're dealing with. Part of what made me decide on the school I'm attending is that the scholly they offered me is guaranteed for all 3 years.

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 am

As a follow-up, is it possible to GAIN a scholarship with good grades after your 1L or 2L years out of curiosity?

From what I understand, you're saying you can actually LOSE a scholarship, right? If one is unfortunately enough to attain bad grades, then that person can potentially lose their scholarship, but what about gaining one?

Lastly, are there scholarships you all may know of that cannot be lost? A literal full and free ride with no strings attached (other than literally failing out of a law school)?

Thanks so much for everyone's help. These are my final questions and I appreciate it!!! :P

Rkl88

New

Post by Rkl88 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am

Just as the first poster said, this will vary significantly from school to school. Many schools do offer merit-based scholarships based on your first year grades. My school, for example, have full tuition scholarships to number 1 and 2 in the class after our 1L year. Depending on the school it is also possible to negotiate a larger scholly if you do well as the school will want to keep you from transferring. These are just generalities, you should check your schools website or speak with someone in financial aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”