calling all vets who are currently successful l.s. students Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lrslayer

Silver

calling all vets who are currently successful l.s. students

Post by lrslayer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Last edited by lrslayer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Re: calling all vets who are currently successful l.s. students

Post by Samara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't know anything about this situation specifically, but in general, contacting your U.S. Representative or Senator is often really helpful when you're dealing with federal government, especially the military. If you catch a staffer in a good mood and plead your case, you might be able to get a letter of recommendation or something. If you know anyone who might know someone close to the Congressperson, start working that relationship. Other than that, this is out of my wheelhouse. Good luck!

hamsamitchguy03

New

Post by hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVanHo

New

Post by JVanHo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:02 am

http://www.disabledveterans.org/categor ... ilitation/

Nice blog by a guy named Ben Krause who is what amounts to a Voc Rehab expert. Lots of posts about navigating voc rehab to get a law degree. As someone who is still dealing with the VA for C&P after being out for almost 3 years, rule #1 with the VA is to never quit. They'll tell you no 100 times in the hopes that you give up... and they win.

I'd be sure to bring up that PTSD isn't a general anxiety disorder where you're anxious or stressed for no reason, but rather something that is usually triggered (by certain visual or audible stimulations, such as the flash of a camera, the sound of a car back-firing, the sight of pot-holes, or being in a crowded place.) The court room, a law library, or classroom aren't exactly places where common PTSD triggers are found, so the voc rehab counselors decision is baseless and nonsensical.

Keep in mind, you can always ask to get a new counselor, or go above them. Also, I've found the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to be a tremendous resource. Free legal aid for service-connected vets, and I'm sure they could help much more than I can.

uptowngirl22

New

Post by uptowngirl22 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:14 am

Wow, that sucks. I don't know what your potential school is, but many law schools do have veterans' groups. It might be worth it to see if your school has one? They could be a great resource for finding people who have gone through the same thing. Good luck!!

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 am

thanks for the input folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”