FAFSA Newbie Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
avemundi

Bronze

FAFSA Newbie

Post by avemundi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 am

So...I've never done FAFSA before, and I had a situation with my SSN (lost it, long story), and haven't been able to exactly see what kind of materials I need to prepare to fill it out. I'm retrieving my SSN tomorrow, but was just wondering what other forms, documents, verification, etc I need to prepare in advance in order to fill out FAFSA? Does it take long?

My annual income, I believe, is under $5000 per year which means I don't need to file for my own taxes (right?). Also, I was told that, since my single parent hasn't filed for taxes this year, I should use an approximate number based on the year? Bahhh sorry if my questions make no sense- I really am so confused.

Geetar Man

Silver

Re: FAFSA Newbie

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 am

avemundi wrote:So...I've never done FAFSA before, and I had a situation with my SSN (lost it, long story), and haven't been able to exactly see what kind of materials I need to prepare to fill it out. I'm retrieving my SSN tomorrow, but was just wondering what other forms, documents, verification, etc I need to prepare in advance in order to fill out FAFSA? Does it take long?

My annual income, I believe, is under $5000 per year which means I don't need to file for my own taxes (right?). Also, I was told that, since my single parent hasn't filed for taxes this year, I should use an approximate number based on the year? Bahhh sorry if my questions make no sense- I really am so confused.
First, you need to memorize your ssn.
Second, you will need the most recent 1040 forms and use the income based on those. If your parents didn't file yet, use last years. Lastly, it takes about 1hour. Make sure to put the proper info and do it correctly. Hth

avemundi

Bronze

Post by avemundi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:34 am

Geetar Man wrote:
avemundi wrote:So...I've never done FAFSA before, and I had a situation with my SSN (lost it, long story), and haven't been able to exactly see what kind of materials I need to prepare to fill it out. I'm retrieving my SSN tomorrow, but was just wondering what other forms, documents, verification, etc I need to prepare in advance in order to fill out FAFSA? Does it take long?

Second, you will need the most recent 1040 forms and use the income based on those. If your parents didn't file yet, use last years. Lastly, it takes about 1hour. Make sure to put the proper info and do it correctly. Hth
Got it, got it, got it. Thanks so much - really appreciate it!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 pm

avemundi wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Got it, got it, got it. Thanks so much - really appreciate it!
No problem! Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”