FAFSA HELP! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
johnny2012

New

FAFSA HELP!

Post by johnny2012 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 pm

I never did fafsa as an undergraduate, and I'm completely confused.

If I apply for fafsa, can I just accept whatever grant options they give me? Or must you accept loans as well? What if you do not want to have any loans, then what?

Also, on the application it asks questions regarding high school so I'm confused. Like, what is the students high school ranking? how would I know that and what do you put as a person applying to law school. It also asks what tests this person has received scores for, like SAT or ACT. Do i honestly answer that even though its completely irrelevant information? And it asks when the person starts college in 2012-2013, which of these will the student have completed: high school diploma, ged, home school, none of the above. What would I put? High school diploma, or none of the above?

HELP PLEASE.

It also asks how many people are in the students household, if I'm living at home would I put four for my parents and brother?

Ludo!

Gold

Re: FAFSA HELP!

Post by Ludo! » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm

1. The school will present you a list of whatever financial aid you have available and you can accept each individually. If you don't want to accept loans you don't have to. Only a few schools give need based grants though so don't get your hopes up that you will be offered anything other than loans. (Scholarships, at least at my school, are applied automatically)

2. I didn't have any high school questions on mine, you must have selected the wrong level of education. There should be an option somewhere to let them know that you're applying to graduate school.

3. If you're still a dependent then your household is your parents, you and your siblings. (If your family is more complicated than that, there is a household size calculator option). I thought when you were filling out your fafsa for law school they automatically considered you an independent though. Again, I would double check and make sure you selected the option letting them know you're applying to law school

johnny2012

New

Post by johnny2012 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 pm

THank you! but I know I can file as an independent, my question now is should I include my parents information? they would help me pay for school as I made little money in 2011, as is evident from my application, but what is advisable? include parents info or no?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 am

johnny2012 wrote:THank you! but I know I can file as an independent, my question now is should I include my parents information? they would help me pay for school as I made little money in 2011, as is evident from my application, but what is advisable? include parents info or no?
If you're independent you don't have to put your parents information. There's no reason, as far as I know, to include it

johnny2012

New

Post by johnny2012 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 am

Well my parents claimed me on their taxes for 2011 as a dependent. they paid for my college and will help pay for law school. so, knowing that, should i include their information? i know you are automatically considered an independent when you file for law school, but what should i do, what could possible give me the most assistance while still being completely accurate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

You don't have to include your parents info, it's unnecessary. It doesn't matter if they are helping you or not. Since you are going to law school, you are considered independent for fafsa purposes. It's not dishonest or anything to not include their info.

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 pm

You need to check with the school about parents' info. Though FAFSA does not require it for grad/professional students, some schools do. Whether your parents will actually help is irrelevant.

jafiji

New

Post by jafiji » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:53 am

I am also having the issue where I am being asked questions about high school. I believe I have graduate school listed in all of the necessary areas, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Were you able to fix that problem, and if so, how?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”