whats generally the cutoff for need based grants? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sangr

Bronze

whats generally the cutoff for need based grants?

Post by sangr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:26 pm

hello guys,

like others it is a little difficult to get parent info and do the whole need access process.

1) whats generally the cutoff for money on this stuff? meaning how little do u or ur parents need to make to get any substantial money?

if u guys could give ur input

it would help so much

thanks

sach1282

Bronze

Re: whats generally the cutoff for need based grants?

Post by sach1282 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

Anyone know of what the highest amount of money your parents can make and still receive ANY aid? $200,000? $100,000? $50,000?

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:05 pm

It seems like most schools don't like to give out this info openly. I've made some calls and haven't gotten anywhere. I think it has to be pretty low though. My only bar I'm using right now is UCLA which gave me about $13,000/yr. I make less than $30,000 and my parents collectively make less than $40,000 with no assets. I don't know if that's helpful but I would be curious to know other awards people have gotten.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Most schools give none. HYS definitely do. I've heard of NYU maybe giving some. The poster above said UCLA does.

It's rare.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:29 pm

ok. i was goin nuts because im late for the need based for schools (including UCLA).
kind of a relief knowing that its not too common for everyone.

it seems to be a question that most people dont know the answer to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I agree with other posters...needs-based funding is very hard to get. You really need to be pretty poor to get it unless at one of the big ticket schools. Need-based usually comes from government sources or private foundations.

My wife and I made quite a bit last year so I just had to go with the merit schollys. those aren't bad though, and they can be negotiated.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Sammy841 wrote:It seems like most schools don't like to give out this info openly. I've made some calls and haven't gotten anywhere. I think it has to be pretty low though. My only bar I'm using right now is UCLA which gave me about $13,000/yr. I make less than $30,000 and my parents collectively make less than $40,000 with no assets. I don't know if that's helpful but I would be curious to know other awards people have gotten.
at this rate i hope i get the near ~20k max they stated on their website! i and my parent have really low income. i'll post an update here when i hear back in a week or two for UCLA and Cornell at least.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Sammy841 wrote:It seems like most schools don't like to give out this info openly. I've made some calls and haven't gotten anywhere. I think it has to be pretty low though. My only bar I'm using right now is UCLA which gave me about $13,000/yr. I make less than $30,000 and my parents collectively make less than $40,000 with no assets. I don't know if that's helpful but I would be curious to know other awards people have gotten.
at this rate i hope i get the near ~20k max they stated on their website! i and my parent have really low income. i'll post an update here when i hear back in a week or two for UCLA and Cornell at least.
update: yeah UCLA offered me 20k/yr, renewable. if you're curious, PM me and i can give you the details of my need-access/FAFSA numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”