Negotiating for scholarships - need help Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
xtian

New

Negotiating for scholarships - need help

Post by xtian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Can someone help explain to me the general process in negotiating more scholarship $? I've been accepted into several schools.. Illinois, Wisconsin, Fordham, CU, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, and USan Diego. Problem is, I want to go to Fordham or Illinois, except I was only offered $5k/yr at Illinois and $6k/yr at Fordham. I was offered $15k/yr at Pepperdine, $23k/yr at Loyola, and $18k/yr at San Diego.

I don't want to go to Illinois/Fordham with only $5k/yr, but I also don't want to stoop as low as USD/Pepperdine/Loyola with less than $25/30k/yr.

So, I need strategies for both routes. How would I go about to leveraging pepperdine/loyola/USD against each other in order to get more $ from each school, and what's the process for doing so?

Likewise, what's the best way to get more $ from Illinois/Fordham, and how would I go about doing so?

All help is appreciated, thank you!

mtyler19

Bronze

Re: Negotiating for scholarships - need help

Post by mtyler19 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

xtian wrote:Can someone help explain to me the general process in negotiating more scholarship $? I've been accepted into several schools.. Illinois, Wisconsin, Fordham, CU, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, and USan Diego. Problem is, I want to go to Fordham or Illinois, except I was only offered $5k/yr at Illinois and $6k/yr at Fordham. I was offered $15k/yr at Pepperdine, $23k/yr at Loyola, and $18k/yr at San Diego.

I don't want to go to Illinois/Fordham with only $5k/yr, but I also don't want to stoop as low as USD/Pepperdine/Loyola with less than $25/30k/yr.

So, I need strategies for both routes. How would I go about to leveraging pepperdine/loyola/USD against each other in order to get more $ from each school, and what's the process for doing so?

Likewise, what's the best way to get more $ from Illinois/Fordham, and how would I go about doing so?

This might help you...

bb26

New

Post by bb26 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 pm

I'd like some advice on negotiating scholarships as well -
I have a full ride to W&L and 1/2 to W&M ... but I don't especially want to go to either.

I'm in at GW & BU, but (so far) I haven't been offered any money. Are W&L & W&M competitive enough for me to use as leverage w/ GW & BU?

Thanks!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:10 pm

bb26 wrote:I'd like some advice on negotiating scholarships as well -
I have a full ride to W&L and 1/2 to W&M ... but I don't especially want to go to either.

I'm in at GW & BU, but (so far) I haven't been offered any money. Are W&L & W&M competitive enough for me to use as leverage w/ GW & BU?

Thanks!
They're not quite in the same league, but that shouldn't stop you.
Just say that you have gotten other offers (but don't say where)

I negotiated by saying "in light of other offers I received", despite the fact that the full ride I received was from a school that doesn't compare (it wasn't even a safety. I only applied because of a fee waiver and the fact that it was in my target market. I immediately regretted wasting the $16 bucks I paid for the CAS report)

rrigor22

New

Post by rrigor22 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Similar situation. Offered 18k per year at U San Diego and would like to negotiate Pepperdine/Santa Clara to give me more funds based on this. Anyone have advice on this? :D
xtian wrote:Can someone help explain to me the general process in negotiating more scholarship $? I've been accepted into several schools.. Illinois, Wisconsin, Fordham, CU, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, and USan Diego. Problem is, I want to go to Fordham or Illinois, except I was only offered $5k/yr at Illinois and $6k/yr at Fordham. I was offered $15k/yr at Pepperdine, $23k/yr at Loyola, and $18k/yr at San Diego.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

:D
mtyler19 wrote:This might help you...

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 am

People really over-think this process. Write to the school, being frank that while you'd love to attend, financial considerations are primary and that it would be hard to pass up other schools with their offers. It's up to you how much you want to "divulge" (if you have received $$ from 2 higher ranked schools, might be smarter to only tell them about one, then come back later with the other offer).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”