quick fafsa question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
horrorbusiness

Silver

quick fafsa question

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 pm

i already filed taxes for 2011, but my mother (only parent I report) hasn't, and probably won't before my FAFSA deadlines coming up in a couple weeks.

will i be able to use my 2011 return and her 2010 return?

justonemoregame

Silver

Re: quick fafsa question

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

I think you are allowed to estimate the figures now, then correct after if necessary.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:21 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:i already filed taxes for 2011, but my mother (only parent I report) hasn't, and probably won't before my FAFSA deadlines coming up in a couple weeks.

You won't need your parents' info for FAFSA since you're a grad student and NeedAccess lets you use estimated 2011 figures.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Nelson wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:i already filed taxes for 2011, but my mother (only parent I report) hasn't, and probably won't before my FAFSA deadlines coming up in a couple weeks.

You won't need your parents' info for FAFSA since you're a grad student and NeedAccess lets you use estimated 2011 figures.
excellent, thanks. i was actually about to edit my post to include the same question for NeedAccess. much appreciated.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Nelson wrote:

excellent, thanks. i was actually about to edit my post to include the same question for NeedAccess. much appreciated.
Yeah, NeedAccess asks for a ton of information but my understanding from emailing them and a couple of schools is that as long as you indicate that they're estimates and make a good faith effort to be accurate, you're OK.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”