Waitlist then Scholarship? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
The63rdMusketeer

New

Waitlist then Scholarship?

Post by The63rdMusketeer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Two quick questions:

1. Am I safe in assuming that any school that waitlists me because I'm a borderline student will not be granting me any scholarship money (since it sounds like need based is exclusively given in the form of loans)?
2. If a school waitlists me due to yield protection, is there any chance of getting in off the waitlist and then getting a substantial scholarship since my numbers would be well above the medians?

Thanks

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Re: Waitlist then Scholarship?

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:34 pm

The63rdMusketeer wrote:Two quick questions:

1. Am I safe in assuming that any school that waitlists me because I'm a borderline student will not be granting me any scholarship money (since it sounds like need based is exclusively given in the form of loans)?
2. If a school waitlists me due to yield protection, is there any chance of getting in off the waitlist and then getting a substantial scholarship since my numbers would be well above the medians?

Thanks
I can't speak to the first question, as it really depends on the school and their practices of awarding scholarship. That is, last year, Illinois awarded every incoming student at least $8k. But, chances are that if you are WL'd because you are borderline with regard to numbers, you probably won't get money.

As far as your second question, if you are YP'd and get in off the waitlist, you may get substantial money depending on when you get off the waitlist. I know last year several Minnesota applicants got huge (up to full scholly) from the WL when they sent in LOCI.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:37 pm

The63rdMusketeer wrote:Two quick questions:

Thanks

Schools will offer scholarships to anyone and everyone. It is not uncommon to offer a waitlist person a scholarship. It is more common after the April and May deposit deadlines.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I went waitlist---> 60k. Ostensibly half of it was need based and half merit based. It took some negotiation. Then, I used that to negotiate with another school.
But, I think it was YP.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 pm

I also was WL to 60k. Amount was likely 100% due to offer at other peer school but I know of other WL admits who got money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rerekun1

New

Post by rerekun1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:55 pm

hmm. its soo long,.

any way you can apply at http://www.scholarshipzone.us guys... its very helpfull and trsuted

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:56 pm

waitlist > 27K last cycle

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:17 pm

I was wait-listed, then got around $75k.
But mostly because I was a strong candidate numbers-wise, but not from the region and it's a state school.

The63rdMusketeer

New

Post by The63rdMusketeer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks all, this is what I was hoping to hear!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”