What's a good T14 scholarship? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: What's a good T14 scholarship?

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are you illiterate?
That's it? After 9,500 posts, that's all you have? Really??

Maybe in your next 9,500 you'll catch up.
Why did you delete and resubmit this post?
I don't know why he even mad tho
How does one use that argument (about postcount) with a straight face and expect to be a lawyer some day?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 pm

if you're paying COL then i don't know if it's worth it to consider the full ride. i don't want to be an idiot with debt, but if i was completely debt adverse i wouldn't go to LS altogether. i could have chosen some schools, even a tier 1 with virtually a full ride (IU: B), but once i'm shelling out 60k over 3 yrs for COL then it seemed more worth it to save do 160k over 3 years for a top 10. if my odds at big law would go from roughly 10% to roughly 50% then the only way the lower ranked school is worth it even for free is to literally be 1/5th the cost which would almost always necessitate a large stipend, which is just non-existent. When you go from school #10 to school #25, we're talking about 3 LSAT questions or less, one crappy class in UG, etc. so the distinctiveness is so small.

The fact is by attending the lower ranked school, all you're doing is setting yourself back. I'm pretty sure that the #1 student at BU Law would be in the top handful of students at Harvard so while yeah, the #1 at BU is gonna turn out alright at the end of the day, what about a kid ranked in the 15th or 25th percentile? It's cool to be cheap with only getting drinks during happy hour or using restaurant.com certificates or joining a cheaper less nice gym, but why be cheap when it comes to your entire future livelihood?

i see the human being as a company, and you can play it safe or you can take smart risks. i personally think that attending a top 10 or even top 14 law school is always a smart bet if you feel you have good looks, book smarts, street smarts and enough roughness to never go down.
Last edited by AriGoldButNicer on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:42 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:if you're paying COL then i don't know if it's worth it. i don't want to be an idiot with debt, but if i was completely debt adverse i wouldn't go to LS altogether. i could have chosen some schools, even a tier 1 with virtually a full ride (IU: B), but once i'm shelling out 60k over 3 yrs for COL then maybe it seemed more worth it to save do 160k over 3 years for a top 10. i see the human being as a company, and you can play it safe or you can take smart risks. i personally think that attending a top 10 or even top 14 law school is always a smart bet if you feel you have good looks, book smarts, street smarts and enough roughness to never go down.
Thank you for bringing the discussion back on track.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:15 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:if you're paying COL then i don't know if it's worth it to consider the full ride. i don't want to be an idiot with debt, but if i was completely debt adverse i wouldn't go to LS altogether. i could have chosen some schools, even a tier 1 with virtually a full ride (IU: B), but once i'm shelling out 60k over 3 yrs for COL then it seemed more worth it to save do 160k over 3 years for a top 10. if my odds at big law would go from roughly 10% to roughly 50% then the only way the lower ranked school is worth it even for free is to literally be 1/5th the cost which would almost always necessitate a large stipend, which is just non-existent. When you go from school #10 to school #25, we're talking about 3 LSAT questions or less, one crappy class in UG, etc. so the distinctiveness is so small.

The fact is by attending the lower ranked school, all you're doing is setting yourself back. I'm pretty sure that the #1 student at BU Law would be in the top handful of students at Harvard so while yeah, the #1 at BU is gonna turn out alright at the end of the day, what about a kid ranked in the 15th or 25th percentile? It's cool to be cheap with only getting drinks during happy hour or using restaurant.com certificates or joining a cheaper less nice gym, but why be cheap when it comes to your entire future livelihood?
I have to say I agree with this sentiment. It's all about weighing out the options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”