Scholarship Chances Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cmartin5970

New

Scholarship Chances

Post by cmartin5970 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 pm

I am looking at different law schools and wondering about full rides for law schools. I live in NC and got a 163 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. People have told me on here and that I have talked to that I could probably get a full ride to a local school like Elon or Campbell but I am wondering what is the threshold for when a school will begin to offer financial aid. As a general rule is it safe to assume that if you are at or above the 75th percentile then they will offer you some sort of money?? or is that too high or too low, I really do not know at all

NYCbound35

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Chances

Post by NYCbound35 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

It is not a good idea to go to these schools under almost any circumstance, especially with your stats. Your best bets are

1) Retake the LSAT - go to a T14 school or UNC with $$
2) Go with what you got - UNC w instate tuition or Wake (only if you get $$)

You probably will not find employment as a lawyer from Elon or Campbell; sometimes you have to spend a little to earn a little (or retake the LSAT and go to a great school for cheap)

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:35 pm

What about a school like University of Richmond? i really like that area and i am around the 75th percentile

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:What about a school like University of Richmond? i really like that area and i am around the 75th percentile
Still a bad idea. Seriously, if you want a large scholarship so much that you would forego an acceptance to a solid state school for these TTTT, you really should think about retaking the LSAT.

Also, food for thought. These TTTT schools often have stipulations on their scholarships that make you more likely than not ot lose them after the first year. They may not even cost less after you factor that in.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 pm

I would but I scored 10 pts higher than I was doing on my practice tests and I just got extremely lucky on the test I think, I took a prep class and did lots of practice tests but I really doubt I can improve my score that much

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm

lebroniousjames wrote:Bump. Almost identical numbers.

I'm more interested in the study of law itself, though, and would likely end up using the degree as a credential (I know, this sounds almost sacrilegious for the TLS community). Accordingly, I'm drifting away from the idea of going to a reach/match school and taking out significant loans. My practice LSAT range (10 or so sample size) was 165-172, so I may be looking at a slightly different landscape so to speak after October or December. But at a 163/3.4, what schools typically toss out a lot of money? I think I'd prefer keeping my job and going PT to Suffolk in Boston, but I'd like to have some full-ride offers to use as leverage in case Suffolk's (presumed) $ offer falls short of full tuition.

So with these numbers (163/3.4) and in the words of Lil Wayne, where da cash at? I appreciate any help

Weeelllll, if its just to study law, and you want to go for free, a 165 and up guarantees a full ride+stipend at some tier 4's, Tulsa coming to mind

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”