How do I defer undergrad loans for law school Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
HyeMart

Bronze

How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Post by HyeMart » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm

I have undergrad loans (stafford subsidized if it matters) that I would like to defer for after law school. How do I do this?

northwood

Platinum

Re: How do I defer undergrad loans for law school

Post by northwood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm

i think all you need is for the law school to report to the loan provider that you are enrolled full time and they will be deferred. Double check to be sure ( and be prepared to pay your bill for August and September just to be safe).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:38 pm

If you took out a private loan- you may be required to pay for it while you are still in school, until its paid off completely.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:43 pm

You'll most likely have to have the law school's finance office submit confirmation of full-time enrollment directly to your lending institution. You should probably contact the loan agency directly for step-by-step instructions.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 pm

It happened automatically for me. Your law school should report your enrollment status to a financial lending clearinghouse, and your UG lender will then automatically be updated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It happened automatically for me. Your law school should report your enrollment status to a financial lending clearinghouse, and your UG lender will then automatically be updated.
do you remember when this happened? Just wondering if I'll be paying my loans for Sept.

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

could we get an update on this information? I was actually wondering the same exact thing.

I called my law school about a month ago and asked about the process for deferring undergrad loans and asked if it happened automatically, and they told me that they did not--that I had to "fill out the proper paperwork," whatever that means...

While searching for the "form(s)" online, I found a Federal Perkins (NDSL) Student Loan request for deferment form, and I found a "in-school deferment request" for the "Federal Family Education Loan Program" (is this Stafford or something completely different?).

Even on the second form, however, it tells you to mail it back to your lender. Am I better off just contacting Sallie Mae (..pretty sure they're my lender) and asking them what the process is?

Thanks.

edit: I understand that everyone gets a 6 month grace-period after graduating college, and that most schools (I believe) automatically submit your enrollment status to a lending clearinghouse, but what if your school doesn't?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm

The easiest thing to do is call your undergrad student loan office--they should be able to verify that you are a full-time student. I got my first loan bills when I was enrolled full time in a grad program, and I just called my undergrad and they took care of it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I just called up my lender, who will be mailing me the forms that I give to the law school to fill out. This might mean I will still pay for September, but that's alright. However, the last time I was in grad school, it happened automatically; Sallie Mae contacted me and asked if I wanted to defer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 pm

what if you're in school part-time?

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:Does interest continue to accrue even if you defer?
It will continue to accrue on your unsubsidized loans.

juju96

New

Post by juju96 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
does it not accrue on subsidized loans?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 am

941law wrote:what if you're in school part-time?

I'm interested in this as well. I'm guessing you still pay, but I'm not sure...anyone?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 am

TIKITEMBO wrote:

I'm interested in this as well. I'm guessing you still pay, but I'm not sure...anyone?
Pretty sure you can still defer:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... sChart.pdf

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:49 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:

Pretty sure you can still defer:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... sChart.pdf

Ludovico FTW :D

ShastaNikki

New

Post by ShastaNikki » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

As long as you are enrolled at least 1/2 time in an approved school (most schools are approved--if they do their own Federal Loans, then they are approved), you can defer.

For instance, I graduated UG in May 2011, but was able to keep my loans in deferment by enrolling in fluff courses 1/2 time at a local community college. There is a deferment form you can find at the new myedaccount.edu website if you, like I did for the interim, don't get new loans and pay out-of-pocket.

If your loan is unsubsidized, the interest still accrues since disbursement and is added to the principal if not paid off (but you don't *have* to pay it off while in deferment, you just *can*).

If it's subsidized then your interest does not accrue while in deferment (I think...I always have had unsubsidized, but I think that's the difference).

**If you are going straight from UG to LS and you filled out the FAFSA in order to get loans for LS, your UG loans should automatically go into deferment until 6 months after your projected LS graduation date (like, Nov. 2015). To check, log into your account at myedaccount.edu. If you've never been to this site, they will prompt you to create an account--it's just a new management area for student loans connected to the fafsa.ed.gov website.

Does that answer your question completely?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mark Henry

New

advice family law

Post by Mark Henry » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 am

Contact to your law schools and consult for them as if they deffer your loan provider.

SPAM DELETED

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat May 19, 2012 2:12 pm

ShastaNikki wrote:As long as you are enrolled at least 1/2 time in an approved school (most schools are approved--if they do their own Federal Loans, then they are approved), you can defer.

For instance, I graduated UG in May 2011, but was able to keep my loans in deferment by enrolling in fluff courses 1/2 time at a local community college. There is a deferment form you can find at the new myedaccount.edu website if you, like I did for the interim, don't get new loans and pay out-of-pocket.

If your loan is unsubsidized, the interest still accrues since disbursement and is added to the principal if not paid off (but you don't *have* to pay it off while in deferment, you just *can*).

If it's subsidized then your interest does not accrue while in deferment (I think...I always have had unsubsidized, but I think that's the difference).

**If you are going straight from UG to LS and you filled out the FAFSA in order to get loans for LS, your UG loans should automatically go into deferment until 6 months after your projected LS graduation date (like, Nov. 2015). To check, log into your account at myedaccount.edu. If you've never been to this site, they will prompt you to create an account--it's just a new management area for student loans connected to the fafsa.ed.gov website.

Does that answer your question completely?

This is the way it has been described to me. It only gets complicated when you have time off between or have private loans.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 pm

juju96 wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
does it not accrue on subsidized loans?
No it doesn't

Has anyone had to have your law school sign off on a deference form? I had my provider mail one to me, but it asks for me to have the law school sign it and then mail it back. I haven't moved to the state that I am going to law school yet, so does anyone know if I could just have the school send something into the loan provider. I'm with SallieMae if that helps.

hollysurly

New

Post by hollysurly » Thu May 31, 2012 4:30 am

I anticipate that all you accept to do to access a cessation of apprentice loans is get the cessation anatomy from your lender, ample out your advice and accord it to your law school's Dean's or Registrar's Office in July/August, and they'll accredit that you're in academy and apparently even forward out the anatomy for you. Once your lender receives it, they'll put your accommodation into deferral. I don't anticipate it's too difficult -- this is the advice I was accustomed and it matches what my lender's cessation anatomy says, so hopefully it's correct.

SPAM DELETED

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”