Can you negotiate aid on basis of LRAP? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Horsefeathers

New

Can you negotiate aid on basis of LRAP?

Post by Horsefeathers » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:22 pm

I am leaning toward PI/Gov work, and was accepted to a highly ranked school with a killer LRAP program. Paid my deposit and set to go there when - surprise!, a less highly ranked but still solid school in my hometown admitted me off of their waitlist.

While I realize that the employment prospects at said less highly ranked school can't compete with the higher-ranked one, I'm tempted, especially in light of the lower tuition and decent scholarship I was offered off the bat.

My question is: Since the first school has a much better LRAP program, attending my hometown school could be more expensive, even if at lower tuition, if I pursue PI and do IBR. Does this seem like a relevant factor for negotiating aid? (I would still be paying sticker at the higher ranked school, after all)....

Horsefeathers

New

Re: Can you negotiate aid on basis of LRAP?

Post by Horsefeathers » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

shameless bump :D

bk1

Diamond

Re: Can you negotiate aid on basis of LRAP?

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm

I think it's worth it if you are upfront and honest, though I do think that the fact that the other school is highly ranked will have a larger impact on them possibly giving you aid than the LRAP of that school.

Also, this late in the game I wouldn't have much hope of getting any aid.

Return to “Financial Aid”