Deferring Financial Aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thekid001

New

Deferring Financial Aid

Post by thekid001 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

If a school offers you a scholarship, can you defer the scholarship until next year, assuming you have a very good reason for deferral (injury) and the school will most likely give you a deferral.

Also, would it be frowned upon if I negotiate a higher scholarship, then try to defer it? It probably would be frowned upon, but would they do it? I think I should get a better scholarship offer.

Specefically, I am thinking about Rutgers-Camden.

Thank you

zoommonkey

New

Re: Deferring Financial Aid

Post by zoommonkey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

They will probably be unhappy with you if you negotiate a scholarship and then defer it.

I don't know if they will or won't grant you a deferral. If they give you a deferral they will almost definitely demand a commitment from you to attend the next year under the negotiated terms. Is that something you're comfortable with?

To echo the TLS mantra, why don't you use the time to retake the LSAT and then reapply?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

If you are trying to defer- then dont negotiate. that is really bad form. Also- if you got injured and need time to recooperate- then thats a legitimate reason, and im sure they will let you deferr. However, you may be asked to sign a contract stating that you will go there and not try to re take and re apply. I dont know about scholarships but chances are they will honor it for next year, but give it out to someone else this year. Or maybe you have to re apply for scholarships. If you are planning on re taking and re applying with the goal of getting into a better school- just decline acceptance and let them know that you are having surgery as the reason, but you will be applying next year. that way you can still keep your options open, even if you score lower or the same on the re take.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Whatever you do, get it in writing from the university for sure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”