Michigan - "it is not in our practice to negotiate merit" Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
neonx

Silver

Michigan - "it is not in our practice to negotiate merit"

Post by neonx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

How true is the above statement?
Can you leverage after being given a Dean's?

pixytree

Bronze

Re: Michigan - "it is not in our practice to negotiate merit"

Post by pixytree » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 am

neonx wrote:How true is the above statement?
Can you leverage after being given a Dean's?
What do you have to leverage?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 am

NYU: RTK finalist, if not then (~$50,000-$75,000)
Penn: $61,500
UVA: $75,000
UCLA: $91,000
Texas: $69,000
USC: Rothman finalist
Waiting on Columbia, Duke & Cornell packages.
Full-rides from WUSTL down (more or less).
(see profile for specific #s).

Michigan gave me $30,000.
Do I have a valid case to leverage?
If so, how do I go about doing it when the letter explicitly states they won't negotiate merit aid . . .

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:48 pm

neonx wrote:NYU: RTK finalist, if not then (~$50,000-$75,000)

If so, how do I go about doing it when the letter explicitly states they won't negotiate merit aid . . .
is it a school you really want or are you jsut trying to see if they'll give you more money? You definitely have leverage to negotiate. Just call them up or email them and let them that you want to attend (and why) but considering the COA at Michigan and the offers you've gotten from other schools, you would not be able to attend given the current scholarship offer. And ask if they'd be willing to reconsider your scholarship offer or offer other grants. There are a ton of posts on negotiating, do a search. They don't officially negotiate, but all schools will reconsider if it's a candidate they really want and that wants them.

I would advise against just chasing money offers at every school and try to narrow your list to schools you really want to attend.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

holy crap how in the...... with a 166-168 and 3.8X

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 pm

pixytree wrote:

is it a school you really want or are you jsut trying to see if they'll give you more money? You definitely have leverage to negotiate. Just call them up or email them and let them that you want to attend (and why) but considering the COA at Michigan and the offers you've gotten from other schools, you would not be able to attend given the current scholarship offer. And ask if they'd be willing to reconsider your scholarship offer or offer other grants. There are a ton of posts on negotiating, do a search. They don't officially negotiate, but all schools will reconsider if it's a candidate they really want and that wants them.

I would advise against just chasing money offers at every school and try to narrow your list to schools you really want to attend.
Thank you for this incredibly sound advice. I very much appreciate it

I am very interested in Michigan (if I weren't, I wouldn't've applied), but their $ would have to top Virginia's $75,000 for me to even seriously consider them at this point in time. I will pursue this and tell you how it goes!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 pm

good luck!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 am

neonx wrote:
pixytree wrote:

Thank you for this incredibly sound advice. I very much appreciate it

I am very interested in Michigan (if I weren't, I wouldn't've applied), but their $ would have to top Virginia's $75,000 for me to even seriously consider them at this point in time. I will pursue this and tell you how it goes!
How did you pull off that cycle? Are you Mark Zuckerburg or something? Don't get me wrong, you have great numbers, but not THATT great. Congrats on a beast cycle, and Michigan should match UVa. E-mail first, then call if e-mail isn't going well (or fast enough).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”