Need Access: Submitting without parental info? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
whytheface

New

Need Access: Submitting without parental info?

Post by whytheface » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 am

Hi all,

I'm a few years out of college and will not be able to obtain my parents' financial information for NeedAccess. I've already sent this form to several schools without filling out parent data and everything went through without an issue. However, now that I've tried to add two more schools I'm not able to process the updates without filling out the parent form, which I cannot do. Am I missing something totally obvious here? How can I bypass the "you must enter parental info" alert?

Flett

Bronze

Re: Need Access: Submitting without parental info?

Post by Flett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am

I believe there are some schools that require it. Which two schools were you trying to add?

Last week I went and removed a school from my Need Access and a series of questions disappeared from the form (in the parental info side). So, if you were adding schools it may have added required questions - thus having to fill out parental information when you didn't before.

bep244

New

Post by bep244 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 am

I was in the same situation as you in that I am a few years out of undergrad and could not obtain my parents' info. I contacted the few schools that required it, and all of them told me to just add an addendum/note in the comment box to explain why I did not include it. I put 0 for all of the parent questions and then my explanation in the final comment box. I was able to submit it to all my schools this way. They did mention that it may affect the scholarship committee's decision, but I really didn't have another option.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 am

bep244 wrote:I was in the same situation as you in that I am a few years out of undergrad and could not obtain my parents' info. I contacted the few schools that required it, and all of them told me to just add an addendum/note in the comment box to explain why I did not include it. I put 0 for all of the parent questions and then my explanation in the final comment box. I was able to submit it to all my schools this way. They did mention that it may affect the scholarship committee's decision, but I really didn't have another option.
+1 I did the same thing as I've been out of school for 7 years and independent for 9.

bjoscott

New

Post by bjoscott » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:08 am

TIMEATELL wrote:
bep244 wrote:I was in the same situation as you in that I am a few years out of undergrad and could not obtain my parents' info. I contacted the few schools that required it, and all of them told me to just add an addendum/note in the comment box to explain why I did not include it. I put 0 for all of the parent questions and then my explanation in the final comment box. I was able to submit it to all my schools this way. They did mention that it may affect the scholarship committee's decision, but I really didn't have another option.
+1 I did the same thing as I've been out of school for 7 years and independent for 9.
+2 I contacted the school that wanted the information and they waived the requirement.

whytheface

New

Post by whytheface » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”