Negotiating at GULC Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thekunstis

New

Negotiating at GULC

Post by thekunstis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97

TLSNYC

Silver

Re: Negotiating at GULC

Post by TLSNYC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97
Not sure about GTOWN, but you should get decent scholarships from Penn and Virginia, assuming you've applied/been accepted.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

thekunstis wrote:Does anyone have any advice/experience about negotiating scholarships with Georgetown? I got 90K from UCLA but I much rather attend a school on the east coast. What is Georgetown's track record with scholarships? My numbers are 171 3.97
Did you get the email from Georgetown about your interest in attending Georgetown and receiving merit aid? The deadline to respond to it was last Friday.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 pm

src42 wrote:
Did you get the email from Georgetown about your interest in attending Georgetown and receiving merit aid? The deadline to respond to it was last Friday.
Really!?! I didn't see this.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
src42 wrote:
Really!?! I didn't see this.
Yeah, it basically said the scholarship committee has identified you as a strong contender for merit aid, and then asked for an email stating continued interest in Georgetown and whether you've received other offers. I don't know if this is the only way to receive merit aid from Georgetown other than their PI scholarship and the International one that you apply for separately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 pm

How soon after you were accepted did you get that email?

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

neyaae wrote:How soon after you were accepted did you get that email?
I was accepted right before Christmas and I got the email in the beginning of February. And the deadline to respond was Feb. 18.

karovda

New

Post by karovda » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 pm

For what it's worth, I just received this e-mail today. I applied in the 2nd week of Jan. and received the acceptance about a week ago (mailed 2/15).

Does anyone an opinion on what schools/offers to inform G'town of (or not to)? I got the 135k from WUSTL and was wondering if it would make a difference in how they decided?

kobebeef

New

Post by kobebeef » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 am

karovda wrote:For what it's worth, I just received this e-mail today. I applied in the 2nd week of Jan. and received the acceptance about a week ago (mailed 2/15).

Does anyone an opinion on what schools/offers to inform G'town of (or not to)? I got the 135k from WUSTL and was wondering if it would make a difference in how they decided?
I don't think so. They've listed me as an "alternate" for merit aid--I have no idea what the means. I also did mention my generous offer from Wash U.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”