Negotiating Scholarships - Misc. Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Leira7905

Bronze

Negotiating Scholarships - Misc.

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

This is a topic that I'm a little unsure of. I have seen many threads regarding scholarship negotiation as it relates to scholarship offers from other schools... In other words, using other offers as negotiation, etc. However, I'm not sure what other factors, if any, contribute to a school considering a person for additional $$$. I realize that any special circumstances should have probably been addressed in the initial application. But, I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in pleading their case using factors not addressed in the application that were not related to funds offered by other schools. In other words, phrasing a scholarship negotiation in the format of a diversity statement... single mom... worked my way through school... that type of thing. Does this have any effect, or should I have stressed this more in the initial app.

Additionally, when a school says that they will consider scholarships offered from a "peer school," how much of a distance in ranking are we talking about??

Return to “Financial Aid”