Look over this estimate. Help Me Out! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Geist13

Silver

Re: Look over this estimate. Help Me Out!

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

that's better I guess. I've always found utilities hard to predict.

Another thing, just looking at your total, 26K per year for total cost of living in Ithaca, NY is insane. This is especially true since it appears that this is a 9 month budget, what will you do during the summer (you likely won't be making money 1L summer). I'm living in a city of 600,000 (which means things tend to be more expensive) and I have a 13K budget for 12 months. Granted I don't have a car so I save a lot that way, but still ...

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm not trying to be insane, that's why I'm asking for advice, taking it, and trying to adjust my estimates.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:49 pm

I think it's good you're trying to be realistic. If you KNOW what you currently spend on food, and you KNOW that you aren't likely to change it, and you have the resources (you mentioned money from savings, initially, I think) then don't listen to all of us, LOL, you want to factor in what's really going to happen *for you*.

I think that electric alone, in the winter(if that's the heat), can run in the hundreds per month. Gas too, though electric is worse, I think. But, it will be lower in the warmer months. Thus, I think if you have TWO roommates, $80 a month might be ok for an average, but not if you only have one...

I've never lived in Ithaca, but I lived in Central Oregon which is really cold in the winter, and my avg. electric bill in a newer (2004), energy efficient single family home was about $240 a month in the winter, and that was with me gone and heat set on 55 during the daytime. I'm pretty sure rates are higher back east per kWh, too.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm

My budget was $150 a month for food as a UG which comes to $5 a day and I made it work without much problem. It can be done, and you dont starve.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Knock down your furniture estimate. Buy your furniture used from thrift store or on craigslist and save yourself at least $1000, and probably more.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Plan on eating lots of farm raised tilapia fish from China, canned "chunk light" tuna & chicken thigh meat. The best deals tend to be whole frozen turkeys. Eggs & toast. Baked potatoes.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:24 pm

I purchased all of my furniture for my apartment ( dressers, tv, tv stand, sofa, chair, ottoman, bed, box springs, 3 lamps, 2 tables, kitchen table with chairs, and carpeting brand new for about 2,000. If you purchase them used, you can easitly furnsih your apt for much less.

Also, you are only budgeting for 9 months. What are your plans for the summer? are you going to move back home, or are you planning on staying in the area? If you are- then you need to budget for that. If not, you need to budget for a storage facility to hold your stuff. You can spend a lot less on food ( I live on 50 a week for groceries), and you need to compensate for horrendous insulation in the apt ( your heating may skyrocket in the winter, or you can go on the budget plan). As for gas, you will need to figure out a way to limit your driving. That could mean selling your car and getting a more gas friendly one, or carpooling.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 pm

I live in ithaca and budgeted out $15/day, usually only spend around $12 with one meal out every day. BTW, im a grown a$$ man so I eat alot. O and go out looking for winter clothes now; most stores are transitioning to their spring apparel and have pretty good deals on jackets and cold-weather stuff

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:34 pm

+10000000000000 on doing your winter weather clothes shopping as soon as stores start to transition to spring/ summer. You will save a ton of money. its also good to do this for the summer as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”