June LSAT for fall scholly Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
maduro

New

June LSAT for fall scholly

Post by maduro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 am

Does anyone know if it would be too late to retake the June LSAT for any fall'11 scholly money; is scholly only awarded upon admittance? There wasn't enough time to study for feb retake...

dodgerboy86

New

Re: June LSAT for fall scholly

Post by dodgerboy86 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:59 am

Excellent question, I have no idea, but I'm posting here so I can check back later to see if somebody smarter than me does.

What school are you trying to get a scholarship from? I spoke with Dean Schwartz of UCLA (which is where I'm heading in fall via early decision), and he told me that I had a very good chance of getting merit $ if I can raise my LSAT a few points. However, this was two weeks ago and at the time I didn't think to ask him about the June LSAT because I assumed that the February LSAT would still be open.

Where are you hoping to attend/negotiate a scholarship from?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 am

By July when you get results back most if not all, of the $ is gone. Bad idea.

maduro

New

Post by maduro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:03 am

@rad law- thanks for the reply, after I woke up with my eight month old daughter this morning that answer dawned on me. it only makes sense that all the money would be gone just a few months before the enrolling fall class starts. lol

@dodgerboy86- i only applied to the tx/ok area. I have two small children and do not want to take them too far away from home. Other than that, I'm not very picky about which school I get into; I only hope I can get some scholly monies and not come out with a six figure debt. Once I hear back from all my apps and have my fasfa filled out I'll get back to ya about the negotiation of $. And congrats on the UCLA admittance.

on another note,
I have seen posts about some people being admitted and receiving scholly money with their admittance, does anyone know if the scholly money is primarily lsat based? or has most folks already completed their fafsa and that's how schools are handing out monies?

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:16 am

would depend on how hard you rocked it. There is a misconception that schools work on a static budget, year end and year out, like normal people might. I can promise you that if you 4.0/178 applied to Cornell after the deadline in July, not only would they be accepted, but a nice scholly would be in order. Of course, school to school this may be a bit different, but someone is taking the kid.

That said, you aren't getting market value at that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:43 am

maduro wrote:@rad law- thanks for the reply, after I woke up with my eight month old daughter this morning that answer dawned on me. it only makes sense that all the money would be gone just a few months before the enrolling fall class starts. lol

@dodgerboy86- i only applied to the tx/ok area. I have two small children and do not want to take them too far away from home. Other than that, I'm not very picky about which school I get into; I only hope I can get some scholly monies and not come out with a six figure debt. Once I hear back from all my apps and have my fasfa filled out I'll get back to ya about the negotiation of $. And congrats on the UCLA admittance.

on another note,
I have seen posts about some people being admitted and receiving scholly money with their admittance, does anyone know if the scholly money is primarily lsat based? or has most folks already completed their fafsa and that's how schools are handing out monies?
most scholarships are merit based, so LSAT and GPA

alliebananas

New

Post by alliebananas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 am

It is totally possible, but the only way you usually get any money is to do EXTREMELY well. I had a friend take the LSAT in June and score a 178 and law schools started calling her to offer her money but it is not a common situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”