Received LSAC Fee Waiver- 3 Questions Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
richeyrich

New

Received LSAC Fee Waiver- 3 Questions

Post by richeyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

So, I received a fee waiver from LSAC, and I know that this covers the LSAT and a few other services from the LSAC. I've also read that law schools will usually extend this to their application fee. However, I'm a little confused about how to go about having my fee waiver applied to application fees. Surely, schools don't expect me to pay first and then be reimbursed, right? Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for the fees and wait for a reimbursement (that's why I qualified in the first place :P). My stats are 3.4/164, so I'm applying to a wide selection of schools in hopes of increasing my chances of attending a really good school.

Of course, I'll be contacting admissions departments from various schools to find out their specific procedure for procuring an application fee waiver, but I hoped not to have to call each school for this information. (1) So, does anyone know if there is an easier method?

Next, I noticed that the website http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com allows you to select an LSAC fee waiver as an attribute on your profile. (2) Does this indicate that receiving a fee waiver from the LSAC is a factor considered in admission? (3) If so, is this a positive attribute, or will schools worry about my ability to pay?

Thank guys this was my first post!

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Received LSAC Fee Waiver- 3 Questions

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Go through the process of submitting your apps like usual and when it comes time to put in your payment info the waiver will be applied.

richeyrich

New

Post by richeyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks Dex. This was most helpful.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I had a full waiver too! It's one of the few benefits of being poor.

Almost all ABA accredited schools will give you a fee waiver automatically if the LSAC gives you a fee waiver. They trust the LSAC because the LSAC requires tax forms.

Occasionally some schools won't accept the LSAC fee waiver. In that case you have to talk directly to the admissions department. They give you a code to enter when purchasing the application (that's what most people use for fee waivers.) Howard University Law School is a prominent, and annoying, example.

Keep in mind: You only receive 4 free reporting fees. After the first 4 schools you must pay the $12 fee for each additional school. So if you apply to 20 schools you have to pay $128 ((20-4)*12). You do not pay tax.

If you have any more questions please ask.

P.S. Receiving a LSAC fee waiver does not impact the admissions decision. However, if you mention coming from a background of poverty in your personal statement it will certainly signal to the admissions committee that you are not lying.

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:51 pm

math fail 12 X 16= $192

saandy

New

Post by saandy » Sat May 21, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks OP for starting this topic! I had the same questions! :mrgreen:
Keep in mind: You only receive 4 free reporting fees. After the first 4 schools you must pay the $12 fee for each additional school. So if you apply to 20 schools you have to pay $128 ((20-4)*12). You do not pay tax.
$12 for each app as opposed to $60-$100 per app is a freakin' miracle! haha. I'd gladly pay $12 any day. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”