Student Loans for Child Care? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
emhellmer

Bronze

Student Loans for Child Care?

Post by emhellmer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if you can qualify for federal student loans to pay for child care expenses? I know that some schools have sharply discounted child care available for students, but for those who don't (or for those of us who don't care for the on-campus daycare), is federal aid to cover this expense? I am having a difficult time finding information about this.

m1 a1

New

Re: Student Loans for Child Care?

Post by m1 a1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I'd ask your financial aid office if they do cost of attendance petitions to be able to increase your loans to cover that balance. You'd probably only be able to increase your Grad PLUS loans.

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 pm

ach24 wrote:You may also qualify for child care vouchers depending on your financial situation. A few states will do this if the parent(s) is/are enrolled in school full-time.
Thank you for reminding me about this! My state is one of them. I feel so silly, because I'm a social working who has referred dozens of parents to this program, but for some reason forgot about it when exploring my own options. Thanks again!

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

ach24 wrote:
emhellmer wrote:
ach24 wrote:You may also qualify for child care vouchers depending on your financial situation. A few states will do this if the parent(s) is/are enrolled in school full-time.
Thank you for reminding me about this! My state is one of them. I feel so silly, because I'm a social working who has referred dozens of parents to this program, but for some reason forgot about it when exploring my own options. Thanks again!
How old is your child? Head Start (or Early Head Start) may be an option as well. Typically is free for full-time students.
She will be three. Some Head Start programs are better than others. I promised myself that I would not do this if it meant compromising her situation. She's in a fantastic Montessouri school right now that she loves ($850 mo.). There are bargain basement daycares that are just as good, and there are Head Start programs that are good, but IMO they are an exception. I'm trying to figure out what I can afford, and am budgeting $1000 a month for quality childcare. If I find somewhere cheaper that is just as good, that's great, but better to be safe than sorry. The idea of getting a subsidy makes me feel better about things though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”