New Scholly after 1L Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
TatteredDignity

Gold

New Scholly after 1L

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm

In reading some of the transfer threads, I've seen the occasional mention of the first school trying to keep top students from going to the transfer school with full rides, etc. I can't tell if these were original scholarships, or if it's possible that someone who was originally paying sticker and kicked butt is now being offered money. I've tried searching around for this idea and I can't find anything, so it'd seem I'm imagining it, but anyone know?

Note: this is for curiosity only -- I'm not asking if it's a good idea to pay sticker at a TTT with the hope of finishing at the top of the class.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: New Scholly after 1L

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:21 pm

My t4 offered the top students scholarships for 2L and 3L. Top = top 10 (not 10%) and only the #1 person got offered a full, the rest were like 75-85% tuition.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

So it does happen to some extent. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that those top people didn't already have those type of scholarships. I guess that's a statement about unpredictability at some level.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:40 pm

0LNewbie wrote:So it does happen to some extent. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that those top people didn't already have those type of scholarships. I guess that's a statement about unpredictability at some level.
The LSAT and GPA combined are something like 20% predictive of success in school.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I knew it was low, but not that low. Interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 pm

txadv11 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:So it does happen to some extent. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that those top people didn't already have those type of scholarships. I guess that's a statement about unpredictability at some level.
The LSAT and GPA combined are something like 20% predictive of success in school.
What does "20% predictive" mean? Reference?

According to LSAC's research the correlation coefficient for LSAT to 1L grades is about .4. That's solid, but leaves plenty of room for outliers.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Has anyone ever attempted to ask for a new or better scholarship based on performance in 1L/2L without threatening to transfer? Any success?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”