Early Decision Apps Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Brock2010

New

Early Decision Apps

Post by Brock2010 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Do people who get into schools under early decision generally get less money? Since these early decision is binding, it would seem as though schools would have less of an incentive to give early kids money.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Re: Early Decision Apps

Post by BrownBears09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Brock2010 wrote:Do people who get into schools under early decision generally get less money? Since these early decision is binding, it would seem as though schools would have less of an incentive to give early kids money.
Yes. And obviously, you're trading admission leniency for cash.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm interested in this, too. As an ED admit, should I expect any consideration for scholarship?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:11 am

musicfor18 wrote:I'm interested in this, too. As an ED admit, should I expect any consideration for scholarship?
Most likely not. You'll still be eligible for need-based packages, but like one of the above posters said, signing an ED contract is pretty much the same as saying, "if you accept me, I would go to your school even with no aid." That being said, forgive me if I'm wrong but I do believe that Michigan is known for giving aid despite an ED acceptance, but of course you wouldn't be able to negotiate it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:I'm interested in this, too. As an ED admit, should I expect any consideration for scholarship?
Most likely not. You'll still be eligible for need-based packages, but like one of the above posters said, signing an ED contract is pretty much the same as saying, "if you accept me, I would go to your school even with no aid." That being said, forgive me if I'm wrong but I do believe that Michigan is known for giving aid despite an ED acceptance, but of course you wouldn't be able to negotiate it.
UM is one of the exceptions. Also note that only HYS/Boalt give out need-based aid, IIRC.

Simply put, if you got in ED don't expect any money.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 pm

no money is scholarship money?
can we count on need-based?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”