Teach for America Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
arism87

Silver

Teach for America

Post by arism87 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I've looked through old threads but every single one turns into a debate about the merits (or faults) of TFA and whether it gets you a boost in admissions...

My actual question is for those who did TFA and applied in earlier cycles: did any of you get scholarship money specifically for TFA? A lot of schools have them, apparently, and I'm just wondering what kind of numbers you generally need for this. Are median numbers sometimes sufficient or do you have to have great numbers anyway?

Thanks for your input, just really curious!

arism87

Silver

Re: Teach for America

Post by arism87 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 pm

bump :oops:

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Some of the scholarships are guaranteed for TFA people
30,000 at michigan
it's not a competition

All that's on the website

Otherwise, It's just considered a good soft... add a few LSAT points to your stats and figure from there

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Some of the scholarships are guaranteed for TFA people
30,000 at michigan
it's not a competition

All that's on the website

Otherwise, It's just considered a good soft... add a few LSAT points to your stats and figure from there
It says there are 5, I have no idea how many TFA are admitted in a class though. Do you know if that would that be on top of or included with regular merit aid, if my numbers usually get a scholarship anyway?

(Funny you mentioned Michigan. I <3 Mich)

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Bump since I got a dean's scholarship from Mich today.. anyone know anything about TFA scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 pm

I would love to know more about TFA scholarships!

arism87, do you know of any other schools outside of Michigan with TFA scholarships?

So far, I don't feel like I'm being "bumped" very much by TFA, but I've only heard from 3 schools.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:47 pm

IsleMet wrote:I would love to know more about TFA scholarships!

arism87, do you know of any other schools outside of Michigan with TFA scholarships?

So far, I don't feel like I'm being "bumped" very much by TFA, but I've only heard from 3 schools.
UVA and Chicago have them (I got one from UVA), NYU might? They used to but it isn't on the app this year, although the webpage is still up... not sure, they never responded to my email asking about it.

And no I don't think there's really a bump in admissions (really don't want to start this debate here.. but..) I have gotten into every school I had a reasonable shot at -we'll see when Chicago and Columbia start accepting RDs to be sure- but I haven't landed on a single WL yet. I don't know if TFA makes that slight difference or not, but it can't have hurt!

Edit to add: I'm sure more schools have scholarships if you check the TFA website, just not sure outside of the top 10 off the top of my head

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:50 pm

arism87 wrote:I've looked through old threads but every single one turns into a debate about the merits (or faults) of TFA and whether it gets you a boost in admissions...

My actual question is for those who did TFA and applied in earlier cycles: did any of you get scholarship money specifically for TFA? A lot of schools have them, apparently, and I'm just wondering what kind of numbers you generally need for this. Are median numbers sometimes sufficient or do you have to have great numbers anyway?

How on earth would someone know this?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
arism87 wrote:I've looked through old threads but every single one turns into a debate about the merits (or faults) of TFA and whether it gets you a boost in admissions...

How on earth would someone know this?
Well in my case it was a phone call saying "Hi! We are awarding you a half tuition Teach for America scholarship! We hope to see you next fall!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Interesting.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:Interesting.
I suppose. I know at least Chicago does the same thing.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm

arism87 wrote:

There is no additional application for the TFA scholarship at Chicago, right? I know UPenn has something for TFA people and NYU used to have one (not any more according to a friend of mine).

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:13 pm

IsleMet wrote:
arism87 wrote:

There is no additional application for the TFA scholarship at Chicago, right? I know UPenn has something for TFA people and NYU used to have one (not any more according to a friend of mine).
No I don't think so. Read: I hope not, 'cause I didn't do one. lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”