Adult student with family questions aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Adult student with family questions aid

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 pm

This is from the Medical school, but I suspect all of NU follows the same procedures (the form it links to isn't specific to the med school):

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AW ... #dependent

TLDR: up to $750/mo per dependent incerase to COA is possible.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Chupavida wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Chupavida wrote:there are also schools that will tell you that they don't give a damn about your situation and expect you to live off the same loans they make available to everyone else.
Can you give any specific examples of this? Every school I've talked to said they increase COA for reasonable/unavoidable expenses...I was under the impression that they are more or less required to if they participate in federal aid programs.
UIUC. There is a campus-wide "no appeals or adjustments" policy, merit scholarship notwithstanding, and to even have a shot at making ends meet we've had to apply for food stamps, sell anything that wasn't tied down on eBay, borrow money from family, and take out an emergency loan against next semester (and our incoming tax return). But hey, aside from the financial aid issues, it's a great place to attend/live.
Interesting. I hear you on Champaign, my in-laws were both Profs/admins at UIUC, we visit C-U several times a year. I always thought it was reasonably affordable for a midwestern college town. Plus you get Papa Dells.

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm

homestyle28 wrote:This is from the Medical school, but I suspect all of NU follows the same procedures (the form it links to isn't specific to the med school):

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/AW ... #dependent

TLDR: up to $750/mo per dependent incerase to COA is possible.

Lovely-

* Allowable costs for the Dependent Care Supplement include day care expenses and childcare services. The amount of supplement is based on actual costs incurred within limits for what is considered fair and reasonable rates (maximum of $750/month per eligible dependent). It is expected that you are obtaining dependent care services at the lowest possible costs.
* Increases are not permitted for the costs of food and shelter for dependents. These costs are factored into the formula used when determining your expected contribution toward educational expenses.

My wife is a homemaker right now. Has anyone written a request for second income from your lovely spouse that they can share? Looks like unless I pull a 181 on my LSAT Chicago-Kent is calling my name.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:01 pm

At UCLA or USC or maybe both (I forget which). Childcare can be added to the cost of living but if your wife watches the kids, you have to write her a check every month and she has to claim it as income for you to get it added to cost of living.
Desert Fox wrote: Yea they call it combined, but nobody without great numbers gets shit. I know people who had no savings or earnings and got nothing. And rich kids on full scholarship.
This. And the fact that you worked and raised your kids while in school doesn't mean shit without the numbers either. AND...That rich kid whose daddy paid for everything so he could focus on school will get into a law school before you even if you have the same LSAT because he has a higher GPA than you.

AND If you made a ton of money to support your family the year before you enter law school, it WILL go on your FAFSA and for need based aid, I THINK that many schools don't take into account the fact that you will no longer have that job after you start school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 pm

well-hello-there wrote:At UCLA or USC or maybe both (I forget which). Childcare can be added to the cost of living but if your wife watches the kids, you have to write her a check every month and she has to claim it as income for you to get it added to cost of living.
Desert Fox wrote: Yea they call it combined, but nobody without great numbers gets shit. I know people who had no savings or earnings and got nothing. And rich kids on full scholarship.
This. And the fact that you worked and raised your kids while in school doesn't mean shit without the numbers either. AND...That rich kid whose daddy paid for everything so he could focus on school will get into a law school before you even if you have the same LSAT because he has a higher GPA than you.

AND If you made a ton of money to support your family the year before you enter law school, it WILL go on your FAFSA and for need based aid, I THINK that many schools don't take into account the fact that you will no longer have that job after you start school.
Thanks for that last note W-H-T. I had posed the question earlier regarding the obvious disconnect with posting your earnings from the previous year with the intent of projecting the next to an institution that nearly requires that information won't be correct. Seems backwards, but I suppose you can't file a financial snapshot for your projected income. Otherwise we'd all be submitting our worst case scenarios.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:25 pm

greenlight wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:At UCLA or USC or maybe both (I forget which). Childcare can be added to the cost of living but if your wife watches the kids, you have to write her a check every month and she has to claim it as income for you to get it added to cost of living.

Thanks for that last note W-H-T. I had posed the question earlier regarding the obvious disconnect with posting your earnings from the previous year with the intent of projecting the next to an institution that nearly requires that information won't be correct. Seems backwards, but I suppose you can't file a financial snapshot for your projected income. Otherwise we'd all be submitting our worst case scenarios.
Neither my wife nor I have ever made enough for this to seriously affect us, but most schools let you appeal your expected contribution if your circumstances change.

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
greenlight wrote:

Neither my wife nor I have ever made enough for this to seriously affect us, but most schools let you appeal your expected contribution if your circumstances change.
I am certainly in a lower tax bracket, but I wish that saying you made X last year and make zero this year carried more weight. I'll aim high since my ambition is focused directly at NU. Who knows, maybe I'll catch a scratch and win between here and there.

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks again for your discussion Homestyle. I hope like hell to see you there sooner than later.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm

greenlight wrote:Thanks again for your discussion Homestyle. I hope like hell to see you there sooner than later.
Good luck. Hopefully you'll at least get admitted and do the whole DANL thing...I'll need some more married (i.e. can't get totally hammered) folks to hang with! You can always wait and see what all the finaid packages look like, you never know. I know I was surprised at some and disappointed by others last cycle.

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
greenlight wrote:Thanks again for your discussion Homestyle. I hope like hell to see you there sooner than later.
Good luck. Hopefully you'll at least get admitted and do the whole DANL thing...I'll need some more married (i.e. can't get totally hammered) folks to hang with! You can always wait and see what all the finaid packages look like, you never know. I know I was surprised at some and disappointed by others last cycle.

Here here. Thanks for the well wishes. I'll just keep my back up handy and push forward as planned. Not ready to quite the parade. Good luck to you.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Homestyle, you can always take a bus over to wherever I end up and we can hang out and not get smashed together :)

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:20 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Homestyle, you can always take a bus over to wherever I end up and we can hang out and not get smashed together :)
Awesome, can I bring my kid...he likes beer a lot for 16 weeks...and laughs pretty easily.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:36 pm

homestyle28 wrote: but most schools let you appeal your expected contribution if your circumstances change.
During the summer going into the second year of my master's I got divorced and lost my job. Effectively going from over $110k income per year to $0 with 3 children to support. I called my school's financial aid office and was told sorry all aid goes off your last year's tax returns. Got all the way up to the Director and was given no option to adjust my financial aid package for my remaining year. :(

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:41 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:
homestyle28 wrote: but most schools let you appeal your expected contribution if your circumstances change.
During the summer going into the second year of my master's I got divorced and lost my job. Effectively going from over $110k income per year to $0 with 3 children to support. I called my school's financial aid office and was told sorry all aid goes off your last year's tax returns. Got all the way up to the Director and was given no option to adjust my financial aid package for my remaining year. :(
That seems nuts. I had a minor change (a few grand) in income and was allowed to appeal (involved submitting supporting docs). Of course, they only offered me more loans, but still...I'm not surprised at the inconsistency though.

greenlight

New

Post by greenlight » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:38 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:
Since you are posting on the TLS forum I am under the assumption that you are en route (or soon hoping to be) to law school. How are you making it these days financially with regard to being a single Dad and making an attempt at a full time program?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:50 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Interesting. I hear you on Champaign, my in-laws were both Profs/admins at UIUC, we visit C-U several times a year. I always thought it was reasonably affordable for a midwestern college town. Plus you get Papa Dells.
Not on a student budget you don't. Does One World still have 5 dollar pizza after midnight?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Not on a student budget you don't. Does One World still have 5 dollar pizza after midnight?
Having only visited C-U when floating by on my in-laws dime, I have no idea. I do know that there are places in town that serve Fat Tire and that said Fat Tire is widely available in Chicago....I'll be investing my loan overages in that...mmm

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:58 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Having only visited C-U when floating by on my in-laws dime, I have no idea. I do know that there are places in town that serve Fat Tire and that said Fat Tire is widely available in Chicago....I'll be investing my loan overages in that...mmm
The 7/11 on Erie and McClurg near the law school has Fat Tire 40's.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Awesome. Dangerous, but Awesome none the less. Now I will DEFINITELY have to get my COA adjusted, is "unexpected grocery bill" a reasonable expense? God, I hope so.

CSCS Trainer

New

Post by CSCS Trainer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 am

greenlight wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:
Since you are posting on the TLS forum I am under the assumption that you are en route (or soon hoping to be) to law school. How are you making it these days financially with regard to being a single Dad and making an attempt at a full time program?
I am planning to attend law school next fall - where is up in the air at this point. It's funny how losing your job and a very high income teach you how to rearrange your priorities just a little bit. I've worked full-time since I was 12 years old ( whole 'nother story ), so it did come as quite a shock. Thankfully I have 3 amazing children who want for nothing ( seriously my 2 older kids have a lego set and a barbie on their xmas list, and they want to donate their old toys/clothes to underprivileged children ).

My ex-wife and I are good friends who share joint custody, so while the ideal situation is me staying close to home for law school, the reality is that I may have to go somewhere else. If that happens, we'll find a way to make it work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Awesome. Dangerous, but Awesome none the less. Now I will DEFINITELY have to get my COA adjusted, is "unexpected grocery bill" a reasonable expense? God, I hope so.
I doubt it. Ignorance is no excuse and, had you done your proper due diligence with respect to Chicago-area alcohol, you would have built those libation necessity credits into your original CoA. Sorry, man.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I doubt it. Ignorance is no excuse and, had you done your proper due diligence with respect to Chicago-area alcohol, you would have built those libation necessity credits into your original CoA. Sorry, man.

Oh you'd better believe I'm working this into my finaid apps. Need Access? I need access to some booze! Zing!

In all seriousness people want to suggest Chicago suburbs for me to stalk on trulia and city-data.com?

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 pm

It depends on your desired commute, I'd say. If you're amenable to taking the Metra into the City and then riding a bus to NU, it opens up a TON of opportunities. If you'd prefer to just take one stretch of the El, or one bus to get over to Streeterville, that's much more limiting. You're looking at the Red Line of the El if the latter, I believe.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:27 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:It depends on your desired commute, I'd say. If you're amenable to taking the Metra into the City and then riding a bus to NU, it opens up a TON of opportunities. If you'd prefer to just take one stretch of the El, or one bus to get over to Streeterville, that's much more limiting. You're looking at the Red Line of the El if the latter, I believe.
Definitely fine taking the train + bus route. If I could find a condo closer and affordable I'd consider it, but after living in a house for a few years that kind of downsizing would be painful...it's hard to imagine not having at least a tiny yard for the kid to play in. I'm counting on an hour commute (that's what Google says it is from Oak Park).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”