Options for paying off 90k debt other than law school? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tilapiahollandaise

New

Options for paying off 90k debt other than law school?

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:29 am

To give you an idea of my situation: I am a philosophy major who has structured his course selection around the idea of "being a lawyer" since my freshman year, but now I am not so sure if I want to be a lawyer. Right now I'm three semesters from graduation and I estimate my debt upon graduation to be around 90k. I don't know what law schools I should apply to; my range is effectively 30-60--I have no idea what "tier" that falls into. I'm considering University of Houston, SMU or possibly a third tier Texas school if it's cheaper.

Am I screwed if I don't go to law school? Right now, I feel like my decision is 30% "wanting to be a lawyer" and 70% "wanting to pay off my loans." What other career options do I have?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Options for paying off 90k debt other than law school?

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:37 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:To give you an idea of my situation: I am a philosophy major who has structured his course selection around the idea of "being a lawyer" since my freshman year, but now I am not so sure if I want to be a lawyer. Right now I'm three semesters from graduation and I estimate my debt upon graduation to be around 90k. I don't know what law schools I should apply to; my range is effectively 30-60--I have no idea what "tier" that falls into. I'm considering University of Houston, SMU or possibly a third tier Texas school if it's cheaper.

Am I screwed if I don't go to law school? Right now, I feel like my decision is 30% "wanting to be a lawyer" and 70% "wanting to pay off my loans." What other career options do I have?
Work.

You seriously didn't think there was another answer to this, did you?

More specifically:
You're a philosophy major. I personally don't know what jobs you can get other than academia. Perhaps you should look into a Ed. or grad work... while working.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:38 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:To give you an idea of my situation: I am a philosophy major who has structured his course selection around the idea of "being a lawyer" since my freshman year, but now I am not so sure if I want to be a lawyer. Right now I'm three semesters from graduation and I estimate my debt upon graduation to be around 90k. I don't know what law schools I should apply to; my range is effectively 30-60--I have no idea what "tier" that falls into. I'm considering University of Houston, SMU or possibly a third tier Texas school if it's cheaper.

Wow. 90k in debt? No undergraduate degree is worth that much. You might be better off reducing the loans significantly before going to law school if you ever decide to go.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 am

LLB2JD wrote:

Wow. 90k in debt? No undergraduate degree is worth that much. You might be better off reducing the loans significantly before going to law school if you ever decide to go.
Sounds on the cheap side for a sticker private university. I know UG programs that go into 30k/yr.

ITT: We realize why a fall back is important.

tilapiahollandaise

New

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:44 am

Yes, I have a lot of debt. :lol: Your reaction is mine too. All of my financial decisions at age 18 were made under the assumption that I would have a biglaw job that pays 160k. I most likely won't, but that was the mentality I had then.
Work.

"Work" doesn't specify the type of work. :) I'm fine with working, but I don't know what fields to go into, which is the point of this post.

More on point, I was looking into education but I don't know how much that pays and being a high school teacher seems like risky business. Could I really pay off my loans that way? It doesn't seem feasible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:48 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:Yes, I have a lot of debt. :lol: Your reaction is mine too. All of my financial decisions at age 18 were made under the assumption that I would have a biglaw job that pays 160k. I most likely won't, but that was the mentality I had then.
Work.

"Work" doesn't specify the type of work. :) I'm fine with working, but I don't know what fields to go into, which is the point of this post.

More on point, I was looking into education but I don't know how much that pays and being a high school teacher seems like risky business. Could I really pay off my loans that way? It doesn't seem feasible.
To be honest,

Philosophy is one of those "personal enhancement" degrees... do academia, write some books, sit around and think about life are your skills at this point if all philosophy UG programs are alike.

Why not a HS teacher? Up by 5AM and out by 3PM with half a year off. Don't jack off during the job and you'll stay employed.

tilapiahollandaise

New

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:55 am

All right, I'll consider it. Do you know if I would be better off getting an MA and attempting to teach at a community college? It would be another two years, presumably, but the pay is slightly higher is it not?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:05 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:All right, I'll consider it. Do you know if I would be better off getting an MA and attempting to teach at a community college? It would be another two years, presumably, but the pay is slightly higher is it not?
You can teach at a community college with a BA. A MA just puts you on a tenure track, if that's your thing.

If you want to teach a particular subject, get the minimum number of credits required to teach the subject.

Depending on the community college and the subject you teach, pay can vary. Rest assured, as a philosophy major.. you're pretty low on the demand end of the spectrum.

Or.. see how many credits a BA in Economics will be. A BA in Economics is in demand nowadays, I heard.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:09 am

write a book The Philosophy of Debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:18 am

Join the military. You can get in as an Officer with a BA.. and since *THE WAR ON TERROR*(AAHHHHH!!) is over, chances are you won't get deployed to the Middle East. No chance for command position ranking though.
--ImageRemoved--

tilapiahollandaise

New

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:33 am

sophia -- Yes, yes, I've heard philosophy jokes.

About econ: even if I could major in econ at this point I wouldn't want to. Sure, I majored in philosophy because I wanted to go to law school, but I also did it because I enjoy it. I mean, obviously I don't want to do anything for money or I'd be out right now stripping at gay clubs.

But it's really interesting that you say you don't need an MA to teach at a community college. I would think you do? How would you earn the credits necessary to teach there otherwise? They don't take undergrad credits, do they?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 am

you may have to do something you dont want to do because you are 90 thou in debt.
Why are you on a law school forum??

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:43 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:sophia -- Yes, yes, I've heard philosophy jokes.

About econ: even if I could major in econ at this point I wouldn't want to. Sure, I majored in philosophy because I wanted to go to law school, but I also did it because I enjoy it. I mean, obviously I don't want to do anything for money or I'd be out right now stripping at gay clubs.

But it's really interesting that you say you don't need an MA to teach at a community college. I would think you do? How would you earn the credits necessary to teach there otherwise? They don't take undergrad credits, do they?
Don't quote me on this, and I think it's a state-to-state thing.. but in Florida:
I believe you need a BA in the major of the subject(s) you want to teach -OR-
~15 credits of grad-level work in the major of the subject(s) you want to teach

You'll be an adjunct and will not be eligible for tenure track without the MA, though.

It's like the whole MA/PhD thing at the university level, except knocked down a step.

I'm not sure what the question about undergrad credits is about, but I think I blanketed the entire spectrum.
ALTHOUGH! I'd be hardpressed to check what benefits you get teaching at HS vs CC level as I'm not sure if CC's pay full health, etc. whereas I'm pretty sure public HS does.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:45 am

The law market (at least at the schools you mentioned) isn't that much better. I'd avoid a law degree right now if I were you. What you'll be in 300k debt possible after that? That would blow. Hmmm. I can only think of some kinda paid PhD program or something, but even then jobs in academia are really hard to come by nowadays.

What would you want to do, if money wasn't a factor?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:48 am

sophia.olive wrote:you may have to do something you dont want to do because you are 90 thou in debt.
Why are you on a law school forum??
He's going into public work if it's HS or public CC(maybe).

I think he'll qualify for forgiveness in the long run... though it won't be full because I would imagine for 90k debt.. you'd need to almost max out Stafford and they only cover subsidized Stafford loans... so he definitely took out Unsubs.

He's 30% here. :lol:

I'd still say, do a JD. Even at a TTT... a JD qualifies as a "terminal" degree which would come in handy if you want to apply to a University Philosophy tenure track. I know, I KNOW, horrible advice. caveat emptor.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 am

hellokitty wrote:The law market (at least at the schools you mentioned) isn't that much better. I'd avoid a law degree right now if I were you. What you'll be in 300k debt possible after that? That would blow. Hmmm. I can only think of some kinda paid PhD program or something, but even then jobs in academia are really hard to come by nowadays.

What would you want to do, if money wasn't a factor?
Hey thar HK!

A paid PhD would be pretty lucrative over the JD at the point.. and if you're young, you can go back and do a JD with an excellent soft in the future.

Totally agree.

tilapiahollandaise

New

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 am

hellokitty wrote:What would you want to do, if money wasn't a factor?
Probably do standup comedy or start a gaming company. I don't know anything about running a company, though, I just am very good at making "viral" things, nevermind things that sell. So probably standup. If I knew how to do it, I might make a company that made viral websites and sell them to advertising agencies.

As for a paid Ph.D, I've considered that but the "paid" part is something I'm unsure of--how common is it? Plus it would take quite a while to complete so I would have accrued a ridiculous amount of interest by the time I started paying my loans off. Or would it? I'm ignorant here, so feel free to correct me.

As for "why I am on a law school forum", simple:

1. I've considered being a lawyer for quite some time.

2. I like law, politics, and arguing. I just don't know if I want to be a lawyer.

3. You guys are probably the most relevant bunch to get advice from. After all, you all like law too--presumably.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:11 am

I will give you a better response in the morning when I'm less intoxicated. I can't think clearly enough to advise you. Hell, it took me 3 mins to type this out correctly.

Hey Pear!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 am

tilapiahollandaise wrote:
hellokitty wrote:What would you want to do, if money wasn't a factor?
Probably do standup comedy or start a gaming company. I don't know anything about running a company, though, I just am very good at making "viral" things, nevermind things that sell. So probably standup. If I knew how to do it, I might make a company that made viral websites and sell them to advertising agencies.

As for a paid Ph.D, I've considered that but the "paid" part is something I'm unsure of--how common is it? Plus it would take quite a while to complete so I would have accrued a ridiculous amount of interest by the time I started paying my loans off. Or would it? I'm ignorant here, so feel free to correct me.

As for "why I am on a law school forum", simple:

1. I've considered being a lawyer for quite some time.

2. I like law, politics, and arguing. I just don't know if I want to be a lawyer.

3. You guys are probably the most relevant bunch to get advice from. After all, you all like law too--presumably.
I like:
--ImageRemoved--

I just want to be the bane of humanity as well and all the cool mad scientist spots were taken.

But...

You'll get done with a PhD in about the same time as a JD if you put your "all" into it. Not sure about Philosophy paid-Phd's.. but that totally depends on your credentials.

Sounds like you really want to do a marketing/advertising major with a MBA instead; but hey, you have 90k in debt. You should fix that first.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 am

hellokitty wrote:I will give you a better response in the morning when I'm less intoxicated. I can't think clearly enough to advise you. Hell, it took me 3 mins to type this out correctly.

Hey Pear!

Are you kidding? My best responses are from bouts of drunkard typing. :lol:

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 am

ResolutePear wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I will give you a better response in the morning when I'm less intoxicated. I can't think clearly enough to advise you. Hell, it took me 3 mins to type this out correctly.

Hey Pear!

eh it takes too long to type out what I'm thinkng coherently. you're drunk too?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 am

hellokitty wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Hey Pear!

eh it takes too long to type out what I'm thinkng coherently. you're drunk too?
Yep. Started the night off with 151 and came down with Jameson. Wondering if I should go to iHop or Denny's.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 am

iHOP. For sure.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:19 am

hellokitty wrote:iHOP. For sure.
Yep. I flipped a coin and it agrees with you. iHOP it is.

tilapiahollandaise

New

Post by tilapiahollandaise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:23 am

The reason I never chose marketing as a major or advertising as a career is because I generally hate people that go into it. Not everyone, obviously, as some of my good friends are marketing majors, but... you know what I mean, I'm sure.

PS: While you're at IHOP be sure to get the Colorado Omelette. You'll feel like that Jameson was never there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”